Author Topic: Interchanging Parts  (Read 7469 times)

Offline David Chaney

• View Profile
Interchanging Parts
« on: October 12, 2006, 05:01:04 pm »
Hello everyone, New to the forum. I'm currently in the process of doing a project & have been viewing Mower Racing on the tube. I believe my project could use quite a bit from this series....1} Are any of the vertical shaft engine parts interchangeable with the horizontal {sp} shaft engines ? 2} On the rear mount engine mowers, could this possibly work on an unsuspended rear mount engine mini racecar ? Where might I be able to get assistance for this type of setup? That way we could use the vertical engines in all cars. This project is a prototype. Thanks for the input..... David
/a

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Interchanging Parts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:02:27 pm »
Its possible what kinda setup you running now!! I looked over several slingshots and mini late model a couple weeks ago.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline David Chaney

• View Profile
Interchanging parts
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:10:04 am »
Thanks for replying, I'm just getting the design ideas on paper. The class is a basic Microstock, very similar to the slingshot w/ no suspension. It to is based on a dirt modified w/ driver in the middle. Our cars can only go to 8' in length, motor in the rear, single cylinder engine. We have 26" from the rear axle to the rear bumper to get an engine in as of now. This is why I'm asking before we finish up the rule book...Our engine package has no limit on cc, but it is starting out as a stocker type on gas very similar to the mini cups. If the proper set up can be found performance parts would not be a problem in the future for various engines.....The basic microstock uses all go kart parts, but we are upgrading ours to use mini cup wheels & tires.... Thanks for the time.....David
/a

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Interchanging Parts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:26:39 am »
What engine are you planning on using as of now! It would be much easier using the horizontal shaft motor BUT that doesn't mean a vertical can't be used. It would require a right angle gear box. You could run belt from engine to it then chain from there to axle with a centrifugal clutch on gear box. Or put a clutch pedal in it and now its like a real car has clutch pedal brake and gas but space is very limited. There's lots a performance parts available for the mower engines now ARC racing makes flywheels and rods and  EC DIstributing is world known for the carburater work, along with some now making some performance chassis parts for mowers and a full line of kart chassis parts, and theirs many others out there with other items also. I raced late models years ago and when I saw these slingshots and mini late models and micro's a couple weeks ago that really was something that caught my eye. If I could find a good used chassis I would love to tinker with one of these things just to see what could be done. Thats my passion tinkering.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline David Chaney

• View Profile
Interchanging parts
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »
Hey George, I tinkered & raced ministocks in Germany in the late 70's. I learned a lot back then, but really didn't realize how much until recently. So, mini latemodels, you have a website, or are these the cyclones. Thanks for the tips. David
/a

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Interchanging Parts
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:21:14 pm »
My website is all Lawnmower they are http://www.geocities.com/georgenfive
and http://www.geocities.com/herrinmowersports

These mini latemaodels were very similar to the slingshots actually the biggest difference I saw were body and they could do whatever they want to the motors, most were running the Vangaird V-twins.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Interchanging Parts
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 11:18:19 pm »
Any links to the type cars you running. I been looking for a link all evening only can find the slingshot by tobias page.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline David Chaney

• View Profile
Micro stocks-interchanging parts
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 03:04:46 pm »
Put in Micro Stock Racing, the forum is on ez board you will also see amsra. This is the old site. Go to the media section check the pics also videos from the early to late 80's. There are also other private sites to visit. On the lefthand column of the ez board forum you will find the old rules. They really need upgrading, that is what I want to do here in Va. But use the Imsa type car which would end up being about 105" instead of the 92" length. Let me know what you think & if you see room for improvement as I do, & where you might make changes since we are tinkerer's [sp]..........I visited your website & saw the sp cub, I really do believe this stuff could be adapted. Years ago I saw a front engine design kart from around the 60's maybe older. Never could figure out how he did it. Maybe jackshafts. David
/a

anything