Author Topic: K341 in a Racer  (Read 14645 times)

Wheelhorseracer

K341 in a Racer
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:10:19 am »
With the amount of pulling parts available. What about building a K341 (18hp) Kohler for the Single class. They are making a considerable amount of power in the pullers and I can't see why they wouldn't work in a circle track racer..

The issue is the fact that they are quite heavy over a Briggs or Honda single.

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: K341 in a Racer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 04:46:44 pm »
Hopefully I can let you know next year. I hope to have my sportsman done this year and this winter I hope to start building a super mod.
I'm going to use a K321 (14hp). I use to pull so I'm a big Kohler fan.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »
have you looked into a finned flywheel.. the pullers don't have fins..

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »
Easy fix. If you use a light vogel flywheel or any flywheel for that matter the briggs model 28 plastic bolt on fins bolt directly to a kohler flywheel made for a cub cadet clutch driver. We run a set on a open rpm 14hp. The fins are bolted to a midwest flywheel. It turns 7400 and has for 4 years untouched. Never a problem with the fins.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:04:40 pm »
Easy fix. If you use a light vogel flywheel or any flywheel for that matter the briggs model 28 plastic bolt on fins bolt directly to a kohler flywheel made for a cub cadet clutch driver. We run a set on a open rpm 14hp. The fins are bolted to a midwest flywheel. It turns 7400 and has for 4 years untouched. Never a problem with the fins.

I have heard of this, but never seen anyone use it before. Interesting how that works...
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »
Cool... I'm glad someone figured out what to do.

Maybe an Outlaw K-series Kohler? I like the thought...

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:36:06 am »
I'm going to have Midwest Super Cub make me a billet aluminum one. I have not talked to them yet but it should be easy for them.

Offline JD Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 07:26:28 am »
A K341 is a 16 hp not an 18hp.

What mower are you going to  use that is horizontal shaft drive?

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:40:09 am »
OOPS ... my bad JD Mike.

It would be in an Outlaw. Or maybe a Super Mod.

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:32:46 pm »
I'm going to build a ARMA super mod. single. I'm finally going to get my sportsman done so I can get my required experaince and I'm really
hoping to have 2 Super Mods for 2011.

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 07:19:29 pm »
it takes alot to get the power out of a single you would with a command twin and with that much power in them life span isnt the longest and when they come apart you might as well find a whole nother motor... they will turn alot of rpms but they arent made to be in and out of the gas... pulling motors are either idle or wide open... and im not real sure that the blocks are strong enough to turn that many rpms for that long
There's somethin' in the works...

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 07:40:26 pm »
Just like in pulling you strap the cylinder down to the block. They have a ton of meat in those blocks.

Remember you are only on the gas for a few seconds on a straight.. how long do you hold it wide open in a puller... a heck of a lot longer than that sometimes 10 to 15 seconds on the limiter.. If they can stand up to a pullers abuse, they certainly would live in a circle track racer.

When you get to the top classes you are only on and off.. If you try to pedal an outlaw in a corner you will be facing the wrong way.

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 08:51:37 pm »
hey if you wanna spend that much for all the machine work on the block and the rod piston and crank and not to mention the motor is gonna weigh a ton and then the gear reduction starter on top of that might be a good idea to try but they are so heavy i dont think it would be practical because for the same weight you could have a twin and more power... im not puttin you or your ideas down so dont take offence you dont have to school me on pullin i have been around it my entire life... garden tractors to boot... its the racing that im new to... just from a weight standpoint dont see it that practical
There's somethin' in the works...

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 09:07:41 pm »
You will spend money on machining no matter what engine you build. If you want to talk about money the single is cheaper because you only have one hole to bore, 2 ports to work on.. only two valves etc..only 1 pistons to buy, one rod...etc.

Weight isn't always the enemy.. left side weight is a bonus if you offset the motor in the chassis.

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 06:52:53 am »
What are your engine rules for the class you want to build this engine for? The machining cost for a K341, welded or unwelded would be around $500 or less. Deck, bore, valves. Internals can be pricy depending on which stroke you use. Vogel has a forged crank in 3.25" stroke that is about half of what a billet crank would cost. Depending on what you are allowed to build, one can build something really wicked with a K series. Most of what you are describing about the throttle response is true with the pulling engines. We build them for full throttle and to idle a certain way. I have found that certain carb./cam combinations work much better than others. Kohler type carbs. that have been heavily modified coming from dead idle to wide open can be really sluggish, the Mikuni type carbs. (44mm/52mm) IMO would work better. If you keep them off the idle circuit the Kohler type carbs. are not too bad, but if your engine speed bottoms out and the idle circuit kicks back in then you would have to build up the curve again. I would be really curious to see what one could do with a K341 in this area. I know how they work for us on the pulling tracks, they may work out great for racing, then again they may fall on their faces. If you do decide to build one to race, keep us informed about it. I would really like to see how it fares on the round tracks. I think your biggest enemy will be be getting rid of heat. We run ours down the track, maybe idle them a little then shut them off, they are not run for a long period of time. MWSC sells a fan than can be used on these engines that helps get rid of heat. The issue with relying on the flywheel w/fins is that it is cooling off the side of the block that runs the coolest, air and fuel while the engine is running will cool off that side considerably. Keep us informed, very interesting application.
Bruce Litton