Author Topic: questions for ellerbe drivers  (Read 1953 times)

Offline EelRiverRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Mowmentum
questions for ellerbe drivers
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »
Ellerbe drivers .... working on a story about your little track. Met Mr. English down there. Gotta say, I like that little track.

What do you think of the changes?

WHy do you think 3,000 folks come out every other Saturday to watch?

Anything else?

Please respond with first and last names.

THanks!

Aaron
Founder and Editor
Mowmentum Magazine
www.mowmentumonline.com

Offline Tazz914

• Turf Warrior
  • tazz914
    • View Profile
Re: questions for ellerbe drivers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:43:45 pm »
I'm not currently racing, but from what I've heard is that they got more to room to pass and the " death wall" isn't as close :roll:
Thomas Thompson

#3 wheelhorse/widebody hybrid sportsman/sp
#23 mtd mod-xrt/gpt

Offline matt175

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: questions for ellerbe drivers
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:19 am »
I like the changes. The fence being moved away from the track and that giving us some run off room in case we get in trouble is the biggest improvment that was made in my opinion! I know i'm not no where near as worried about being on the outside now.

the track design is alot better too, there is alot more room to pass than previous years, it is faster, which is more fun (not that we weren't fast before).

The addition of the Kids classes has been great so far. it is a good way for the younger kids to get involved, it teaches them sportsmanship, helps them learn the track and per class rules, lets them learn how to drive, but most importantly it is something fun to do that brings families together.

as for the large crowds, my guess is because this has always been a racing community. everyone used to go to the NASCAR races, but since California got Rockingham's race, there isn't anymore NASCAR racing around here, there are a few ARCA races, but I think it's got alot to do with it being something cheap to do, that supports the community, and on top of that it's Saturday Night Dirt Track Mower Racing!

There are a few things the Officials need to work on (communication between flaggers on the ground and those in the tower being the biggest) . but all in all they do a very fine job, yea mistakes are made, but these guys try as hard as any to do things right!

This little track way out in the sticks has come a long way from where it started. I didn't race the 1st year (didn't know about it) but I have from then till now.  1st year there were only a few mowers, all were stock with minor modifications done to them, mostly just using lawnmower parts, there were no prepared chassis, and the few built motors that were there were nothing like we have now, then for the 2nd year the Crouch's brought out the first prepared chassis, with built v-twins, and everybody's mouths went to watering. there were a few more Modifieds built that year, then even more last year, along with quite a Factory Modifieds. this year the super stocks can run a prepared chassis as well. The track used to be really rough and had potholes and ruts everywhere (it was smooth before a race but didn't hold up) now the track holds up just fine, and there are alot more mowers on it now, with alot more power then what we had then, so they have done an outstanding job on the track itself.

Hopefully this will help you out some Aaron, if you wanna know more i'll help all I can.
Matt Hewett
2009 All American Mower Championships 2nd place Super Modified Twin