Author Topic: Need some help with my first build please  (Read 8983 times)

Offline 45calibermow

• View Profile
Need some help with my first build please
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:37 pm »
This is my first racing mower build. Today I installed my handlebar steering set up. The problem I am having is that the gearing is setup for a steering wheel that can be turned and turned. With the handle bar setup I need to get more turn of the wheels with less turn of the bar. Does anyone make parts for this or do I need to fabricate something? If so can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/45caliberlove/100_1368.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/45caliberlove/100_1380.jpg
Die young as late as possible!

Offline Running on Empty

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help with my first build please
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »
You really need to spend some time going through the build sections.  Everything you are looking for is there!
Tim Waldorf
#29 Mod-x
www.bsmra2.com

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:03:05 pm »
Most folks use a steering wheel, and use direct steering.
What rules are you building to?

And you need to do research as well.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:16 pm »
and im pretty sure handle bars are only allowed if factory equipped such as a snapper
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline 45calibermow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:05:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm actually not building to any rules or specs. We have a annual event here where I'm from called the P-Nationals. Its an event where anything goes pretty much aside from basic safety. They match you with other mowers close to you. That may answer some of you questions lol. I'm building this one to see if this is something I can really get into, which I probably can. Just want to make this one safe and race-able without spending much. I like the handle bar setup I just need to make it work, and yes I have been doing my homework. There is just alot to take in. Thanks again guys.

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:07 pm »
not building to any rules or specs????? good luck. honestly this will probably get locked up by the mods and you will be told you can read all ya want. not bein rude just statin a fact. SAFETY is the first thing you get popped with here. i have seen some learn the hardway.
Zach Burwell

Offline 45calibermow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 11:36:24 pm »
not building to any rules or specs????? good luck. honestly this will probably get locked up by the mods and you will be told you can read all ya want. not bein rude just statin a fact. SAFETY is the first thing you get popped with here. i have seen some learn the hardway.

Dont get me wrong here bro Im all about safety exspecialy if my butt is going in the seat. Im a steel fabricator so there is no crap work going into this. All Im saying is Im not building it by a rules and specs book. You can take the deck of your weekend rider and do nothing else to it and go race at this event. Trust me when I say that there not going to let you run a motor putting out big hp. without having the right equipment to back it up. Im only going to be 20mph tops and with the modifications I've already done I would say Im pretty safe. No offense

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:53 pm »
man i know your not tryin to get under anyones skin but really this forum is for people who are wanting to run on a national level or at least in a uslmra or arma chapter... i know we are driving you nuts with all this "saftey" stuff but like i said if you want to post on here or get some hints and tricks you alomst have to be building to the rules posted in here... we are not trying to be jerks but if you keep trying your gonna get booted and you are gonna think we are just a bunch of mean guys... most of us on here know what it takes and we are just trying to steer you in the right direction... i get you are trying to get a feel for it but really those are the best answers your gonna get untill you show us your building to a particular set of rules...
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:52:57 pm »
A thought to ponder: why spend your tight budget on one to get the feel for it that isnt built to sanctioned rules then turn around and build another. That money coulda been put towards a chassis that is gonna be built to be serious and will all together be/feel/drive/handle different? Trust me man I have been there and done that. If ya build a chassis under sanctioned rules, race and not like it, sell it rollin and recoop some of your money. Think about the big picture before ya dive in.
Zach Burwell

Offline 45calibermow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:11:33 am »
A thought to ponder: why spend your tight budget on one to get the feel for it that isnt built to sanctioned rules then turn around and build another. That money coulda been put towards a chassis that is gonna be built to be serious and will all together be/feel/drive/handle different? Trust me man I have been there and done that. If ya build a chassis under sanctioned rules, race and not like it, sell it rollin and recoop some of your money. Think about the big picture before ya dive in.

I agree with you but what I have was free and I had most of what needed to get the ball rolling already from karts of mine. So I can always transfer them over if I decided to build a sanctioned ride.

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:14:06 am »
well thats a good start... kart parts is what alot of people use... check your messages i sent you a couple...

Offline 45calibermow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:21:33 am »
well thats a good start... kart parts is what alot of people use... check your messages i sent you a couple...

Yeah I just saw them lol. New to the board so still learning the page.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 12:24:12 am »
There is nothing wrong with building a mower for those once a year events...believe there is one in Indiana that's been running a year or two!

You need to go to a direct steering set-up, do a search for "irect steering and you will find many different examples, for your one race stocker, the simpler the better!

As for your statement on going 20mph safely.....20 mph is ALOT faster than you think it is on one of these. 20 mph on that machine, sitting as high as it is , it is going to be real difficullt to keep on 4 wheels! I think Top speed in the CP class at the USLMRA Points race in Macon was about 22mph!

Your on the right track by ditching that geared steering, that's one of the things that will hurt ya!
A couple more things you really need to do to be safe at that speed is fix the front end, and most importantly, you need axle mounted brakes. That little trans axle brake will burn up in about 10ft!

Asa for the Karts....they are great...for parts  :badgrin:
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 12:30:20 am »
rooster you know about that race in southern indy? a buddy of mine was trying to get me to go down there but our tractors are "too heavily modified" (lowered) so we would have to race with all the bike motor tractors... i was like no thanks

Offline 45calibermow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 12:31:56 am »
There is nothing wrong with building a mower for those once a year events...believe there is one in Indiana that's been running a year or two!

You need to go to a direct steering set-up, do a search for "irect steering and you will find many different examples, for your one race stocker, the simpler the better!

As for your statement on going 20mph safely.....20 mph is ALOT faster than you think it is on one of these. 20 mph on that machine, sitting as high as it is , it is going to be real difficullt to keep on 4 wheels! I think Top speed in the CP class at the USLMRA Points race in Macon was about 22mph!

Your on the right track by ditching that geared steering, that's one of the things that will hurt ya!
A couple more things you really need to do to be safe at that speed is fix the front end, and most importantly, you need axle mounted brakes. That little trans axle brake will burn up in about 10ft!

Asa for the Karts....they are great...for parts  :badgrin:

Yeah I have a hydrolic disk setup I plan on putting on it.

anything