Author Topic: Peerless 600 Transaxle Questions...  (Read 8490 times)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Peerless 600 Transaxle Questions...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 12:29:49 pm »
Rocky...your the search" wizzard"...you should have found this thread by now.. :P
http://www.heymow.com/viewtopic.php?t=188

Here's a straight 3/4" keyed axle...bore the spyders and weld or pin in place...

There is enough keyed shaft sticking out one side to add standard 3/4" brake disc..then adapt hyd or mech caliper...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 02:45:05 pm »
Quote from: "Squidd"
Rocky...your the search" wizzard"...you should have found this thread by now..

LMAO! It's a guy thing, kinda like reading directions... I hate searching before tearing things apart!! Tearing into things raises so many more questions to search for.   :wink: Actually I don't know how we got off on locking the rear end discussion here Squidd, I was looking for answers on the brake set up and it just sorta wandered.  :?

The axle tubes sticking out there so far on the 600 puts it a long way out from the machine and I was wondering how guys are mounting the caliper more than anything. It almost has to be mounted to the tube to get beyond the end of the tube doesn't it?

This is kind of turning into an all options discussion on the 600 installation, which is nifty as this is a tightly budgeted project. IMOWs aren't supposed to be real spendy, and I need one to prove it can be built way cheap. Thus far $150 into mower, motor, and transaxle and that's only that high because this mower was working when I bought it, the deck was just badly worn and kinda cut the grass a little on the uneven side!

If Allen gets us pictures on his brake setup and such, and I do a step by step on the tear down and whatever to lock it... We may have to rename the thread, move it elsewhere, and sticky it!  :D

Quote from: "Matt"
not to burst ur bubble dude but the extra spiders lock that setup up because theyre wedged in there if u do it the way ur thinkin itll just act as a extra set of spidergears

Wellll.... there was also suggestion that one might weld a slot full between a couple of the teeth by someone around here which would be a viable alternative in that respect also, if they did turn. And, as was suggested in that post, that eliminates the issues with heat applied to other internal parts, and welding dissimilar metals. But, for the sake of asking, how are you guys wedging those gears in there tight enough to stand up to the abuse of racing and getting them to stay in place??

Actually I like the one piece axle concept Squidd offered, and getting spiders bored and holes punched in the carrier is not a problem, just tell the guy at the local machine shop it's too hard and he can't drill a hole in it. He can do pretty much anything if you tell him it's impossible! Not your typical small town machine shop, he used to be a contractor, has lots of machinist type toys there big enough to fabricate parts for very large equipment, stashed neatly away in a little 100' x 250' building with 30' ceilings. He's got one toolbox there that's about the size of a small truck! He does suggest that was a stupid investment however, that he would have been money ahead to buy two smaller ones that could be moved!  :?  (Yeah it's got casters, but it's a 2 - 3 man job to push it, and there isn't room to maneuver it around anything.) He can fabricate most anything from a chunk a steel.

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 03:08:24 pm »
But, for the sake of asking, how are you guys wedging those gears in there tight enough to stand up to the abuse of racing and getting them to stay in place??

very carefully takes a lot of patience and time but u get it right once and u never wanna take it out ever again :wink:
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

anything