Author Topic: Kohler K181  (Read 4478 times)

Offline tash329

• View Profile
Kohler K181
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:40:44 am »
Hello
I'm new to all this, so I hope my question don't seem elementary. I have a Cub Cadet Model #73 with a Kohler K181, last year it struggled to start but did (battery didn't hold a charge). This year it won't start but wil turn over with a new battery only when the postive battery cable is run to the starter. I have no spark either. Any ideas to problem? Could it be the key switch or maybe the selinoid? Also can I use my Walbro K241 #52 carb. on the K181 for a more ponies? Thanks.

Wheelhorseracer

Re: Kohler K181
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:35:14 am »
The K-181 uses a small #22 Kohler Carb. You would have to make an adapter plate to run the bigger carb. The carb alone will not really increase the HP. You have to make many changes to make more power from this engine.

This is what I did.

http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=14287.0

Offline mr.smitty_78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:50:20 am »
you can bypass the key and sylinoid to see how the stater is by taking a set of jumper cables and hooking the ground on the battery to a spot on the frame where you can get good contact then hook the other to the hot on the battery and touch it to the bolt on the bottom of the starter where you hot wires are at (the ones from your sylinoid) if this works it could bee you key switch or sylinoid but sounds to me a little more like a bad connection some where check your wire connectors for corosion and stuff after you try the trick with the starter if you have some corosion on your connectors be it on your sylinoid  key switch chassis ground or wheever it may not be pulling enough juice to turn it really turn the starter hope this helps
Josh Smith

Offline tash329

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:15:38 pm »
Thank you both for your help. I think I'll just stay with the K181's orginial carb. soon I'll have time to do some hard core ponie ups to it.
 The ground wires might just be the key, hooking the postive jumper to the start will spin it over, so starter is good. I never thought about the grounds, though it sit does sit outside in the weather for now till my Farmall Cub is finished. Did some slight mods to intake and heads while I rebiuld the tractor. Just a lawn mower, but was fun toying with engine.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:27:23 pm »
If you want ponies.. a 10-18 hp Kohler single will basically bolt right in.

Good luck on your project.

Offline mr.smitty_78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:34:16 am »
Your welcome man I hope you get her running. Hard to beat one of those tuff as nails K series engines.
Josh Smith

anything