Author Topic: Hand built frame  (Read 3611 times)

flyinmonkeys32

Hand built frame
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:18:24 am »
So i live in oregon and there arent a whole lot of races yet out here. I have an old huffy, with a 10 hp tecumseh and a spicer 5 speed. it does alright but its tipsy. Im in the the process of building a square tube chassis that is almost done. I am going to be running an 18Hp briggs and a peerless 700. the real kicker tho is that my steering is completely adjustable... camber, caster, toe... i was wondering what kind of class that would put me in, if i would even be able to run at all. I dont know what other info is needed so ill just throw some more out there. Its 40 inches long and about 39 inches wide, no stagger, no offset. 15x6x6 in the rear 11x4x4 in the front. go kart spindles, tie rod ends for camber/caster adj. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

pastfast125

Hand built frame
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 06:00:46 pm »
i have a huffy to, cant wait to get started on making it a racer..... :D  :twisted:

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Hand built frame
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 07:00:31 pm »
Might have to be some "Outlaw" type class...

Only class in USLMRA that allows a custom frame is F/X but there is a motor size rule and the 18 would be a bit large... and for the most part they don't run a tranny...

Check USLMRA   download rules and get a better idea of what is allowed..

Also check this thread for suggestions on choosing a "build" if you plan on racing...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

flyinmonkeys32

Hand built frame
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:28:57 pm »
hey the huffy is awesome. i love that thing, the only problem with mine is that my rear end is to narrow, its a bit tipsy. it has a little tiny spicer 5 speed out of a craftsman rear engine mower, but that tranny rocks. I need some way to widen it tho. It has 3/4 axles. do u or anyone else know some trick to widening a transaxle other then replacing the short one with another long one from the same tranny?

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Hand built frame
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:59:10 pm »
Here is a square tube frame I've been working on.

The transmission is only temporary till I scrounge up a 700 or maybe a right angle box. Probably going to cut the front end off and start over there as well. I'm learning as I go along.

I have some 80's Craftman sheet metal to hang on it. I split the rear fenders so the seat will be right on the frame. I'm up to 88 pounds so far without engine.
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing
  Team Preferred Charters #71

Offline stumper

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Hand built frame
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:15:12 pm »
Nice work!! got more pics of the trans?

flyinmonkeys32

Hand built frame
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:38:11 pm »
Im at college right now, but as soon as i go home to visit, ill post some pics of mine.

Offline mowfast1

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Hand built frame
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 12:13:23 am »
You otta, drive down here to Dillard Or. and race with us. (about 10 miles south of Roseburg ) We have races about every other weekend from May to Oct. And our rules are pretty liberal, but I think 38" wide is all you can go even in the outlaw class. Check us out at, http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/solmra/
Get R Done!
Mowfast racing #32

flyinmonkeys32

Hand built frame
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:47:00 am »
i will definately have to come down next summer. hopefully i can have my new one done by then. i think i can get it under 38" wide. If not i always have my other one. Its hard to find races up by me