Author Topic: Restoration of a 1934 RCA radio.  (Read 25657 times)

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Restoration of a 1934 RCA radio.
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
Now for something totally different. Ever since I was about 10 years old I've been interested in old radios from the 1920's-1950's. For those of you not familiar with radios from this era, a radio from the 20's-40's was the primary source of home entertainment before TV. These radios were powered by vacuum tubes. The basic principal is that each tube is similar to a light bulb and when they light up the heat they produce within a vacuum creates and amplifies radio waves. Occasionally the tubes burned out and you had to go to a store to buy replacements. These radios had to "warm up" for sometimes 30 seconds to a minute before anything would actually play.

I am restoring a 1934 RCA model 128. This is a LARGE table radio. Its also an unusual style. In the 30's Philco introduced what is classically known as the "Cathedral" radio. Its called this because the legend goes that a Philco industrial designer was influenced by the architectural styling of a church across the street from his office. Thus the classic iconic style most recognized from that era. This particular radio embodies that style but also blends it with another popular style-known as the "tombstone" style which was an upright art deco design. This is a very big table set. Other features include an early version of "auto-tune", a feature that we take for granted today. A user could tune in a station and if there was interference or variation in the signal, the radio would automatically adjust itself to pick up the strongest setting for that station. That's a feature on every modern radio. But back then this was considered a marvel. Hence this radio was advertised as having "An electronic brain".
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Wheelhorseracer

Re: Restoration of a 1934 RCA radio.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:54:39 pm »
Nothing better than a tube machine. I only play Tube Guitar amps ( one I have right now is a Traynor from 1969). If there is a problem you can replace the individual part rather than the whole board.

What a great piece.. I'm glad your saving it.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:07:29 pm »
Now that the intro is out of the way, its time to dig into the restoration. Almost all radios made from the 1930's and upward used capacitors made of wax, cardboard, and aluminum foil. Prior to the 30's the capacitors were more solid state. Its not unusual for me to find radios from the 20's that still work great. But when the depression hit radio manufactures cut costs. Capacitors were fairly expensive to produce and to cut down on costs they started making them out of bees wax and cardboard. It worked but after sitting around for 60-70 years they tend to dry out and thus leak. About 70% of the radios I get make a loud buzzing sound when warmed up. That's because the capacitors, which are used to regulate the voltage and to filter out feedback for the vacuum tubes are now shot so the radio won't play and instead just buzzes. Its best to replace all of the capacitors anyway.

So the first step is to dismantle the radio. Back in the good ole' days radios were meant to be repaired. Thus they are easy to take apart. The knobs are held on with set screws. The chassis is screwed through the bottom of the cabinet. Once those are removed the entire chassis slides out the back. This radio has a large speaker. Since the cabinet is going to be refinished the speaker needs to be removed too. A plate covers the back of the speaker where the wires connect. Since the wires are now faded to the point where their colors look the same I try to mark and describe their location. I remove the screws holding the speaker wire terminals to the speaker and mark their positions with tape.

Now I remove the entire chassis. As you can see the components are all gigantic considering this is an AM radio ( No FM) and a modern radio would easily fit inside just one of the tubes several times. The chassis weighs well over 30 pounds.
This is a highly sophisticated radio ( for the time it was made) It not only has AM, but shortwave as well. That means it picks up international stations. I am also impressed with some of the unusual engineering that was built into the piece. All the radios I've ever seen use a sort of pulley and cord tuning setup. Simply put, a string is run from a knob to a drum that turns the tuning plates. This radio uses an unusual spring-loaded ball bearing pressed against a roller that is connected to a gear mechanism. In other words its a "direct drive" tuner. Also, if you switch bands a piece of plastic with the band designation pushes past a light bulb that back illuminates it so the user can see what band they are on.

Moving forward, I ran into a problem. On most radios the capacitors themselves are marked so you can read their values. They are usually easy to replace. The way it works is if you had say- a .25 MFD capacitor rated at 200 volts, all that means is that it the capacitance rating is .25 MFD and it will take a max of 200 volts. But you can always just buy whatever replacement you need as long as it is more than 200 volts. I usually buy 600 Volt bulk capacitors. The problem is that NONE of the capacitors are marked. What a pain in the rear. Luckily there are guys online who have taken the time to painstakingly scan old out of print repair manuals and schematics. A lot of these are very detailed. Unfortunately none that I can find are good enough quality to read. So I had to buy some high quality versions from a supplier. It was $6.

But basically if there are no markings on the capacitors, you'll need to identify them via a schematic which will tell you all the values. So the next step will be to translate the schematic to modern day replacements. The good thing is that modern capacitors last forever and they will be hidden under the chassis. You can also buy NOS or new tubes. most believe it or not made in Russia or China.  They're not that expensive. With new tubes and capacitors a radio like this would play as good as new. Not bad considering its 75 years old.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:07:14 pm »
we got some foor models, picked them up at an acution for 5 bucks a piece, one of them works partway butt they look good in the lobby
matt will  #40
sportsman, super sportsman neplarma
450 pro class mod (quads)

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:19:23 pm »
Ahhh, ….reminds me of the days of constant fixing the ol’ RCA 6550 Output tubes on my Ampeg Bass amp and that nice heavy 70lb transformer. My guitar player loved the Sovtek tubes in his old Marshall, it used to give it that raspy, dirty, British sound. They were hard to find.
Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA
2013, 2014, 2015 IMOW 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017  Presidents Award for Excellence Mason
2017 North American ARMA National 1st Place Champion Mod-XR-T Class

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:21:53 pm »
$5 for a floor model is a great deal. They're worth way more then that.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »
yea we got a whole bunch of old stuff,some people call it junk we call it treasure
matt will  #40
sportsman, super sportsman neplarma
450 pro class mod (quads)

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:55:26 pm »
I wish you lived closer so you could Bias my old tube amp for me..

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:44:15 am »
Just got my copy of the repair manual for this. There are a few sites out there that have these to download. http://www.nostalgiaair.org
has them for free but sometimes the quality is poor and since these were usually drawn by hand the writing can be hard to read. For a few bucks you can get high quality versions. I got mine here:

http://www.antiqueradioschematics.org/

With a better manual I can figure out what the values are for the bazillion capacitors in there.

Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline freakboy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:52:40 pm »
dang you .... ive been looking for a while for one of these for my room..... including a old coke machine. i already got random 50's-70's car parts hanging in my room im looking to add to the collection... if i find one that needs repaired what should i look to pay for one?
Kyle wilson
46 ci briggs opposed full pressure lubed under the hood.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:05 am »
Depends on the make and model. Just like cars. In regards to cathedral style radios, the most expensive make is Atwater Kent because they made what were basically the Cadillac of radios and they went bankrupt in the depression the same way Dussenburg did. These go for $300-$700. Philcos usually go for $150 in ok condition up to $300-$400 for fully restored units. Philco invented the cathedral style so they are a bit more desirable than the other more common brands like RCA and GE, who also made this style. Smaller brands sometimes go for a lot less so if you like the style on a particular radio and its a less common brand you can sometimes get it for less.

The thing that I do is buy absolute clunkers. I don't care if the things are in perfect shape. Ebay has some deals. I bought a Philco model 20 last year ( the first cathedral radio) for $25 because the right side has water damage. Nobody can see the damage unless they look hard and the radio plays great. This radio I paid $150 for which is more than I usually pay but its probably the nicest set I own. I plan on spending my time on this one.

Also- look around at flea markets and yard sales. Sometimes they turn up but the older sets are getting to be less common and most people know what they are versus assuming they're junk.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline freakboy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »
yeah i know what you mean about buying "junk" and then fixing it i get that about my truck all the time they dont get it...and i dont think they ever will... ok thanks ill keep my eye out i just dont wana get ripped off.
Kyle wilson
46 ci briggs opposed full pressure lubed under the hood.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 10:54:33 am »
I spent a good part of the weekend and last night trying to figure out what the values are for all the capacitors. There's about 20-25 of them and as mentioned, only 2 or 3 were marked. Finding the values meant finding an original 1934 repair and parts manual. Initially I found something online but the quality was poor and I could barely read it. I ordered a schematic online for a few bucks but since I am not an engineer I had a hard time reading it. Luckily the online community of antique radio restorers is pretty big and lo and behold, a member on one sent me a high quality scan of an original wiring diagram manual for the set. Those are pretty easy to read for laymen like me.

Only problem is that the radio has been repaired over the years and as often the case, the repairman decided to throw in parts that don't correspond with the factory specs. That means removing some capacitors and replacing with bigger values, or instead of using a multi-value capacitor they installed 2 capacitors to meet the original value. Thus on top of having to figure out what capacitor was what, I also had to figure out what had been changed in the repairs.

So as of now I've identified all of the capacitors save for one on what is called the resistor board. Meanwhile my wife has been refinishing the cabinet. She's a lot better at that then I am. I usually don't have as much patience. She used a varnish stripper and 600 grit sandpaper. The cabinet is in great shape and will finish nicely.
More pics.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 11:33:56 am »
GRRRRR green grass GRRRRRR

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 12:03:41 pm »
Its only green because we just got through having 5 weeks of rain. Sunday was the first sunny day I've seen in.... forever. More is on the way today. Oh boy!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

anything