Author Topic: Someone please help...I'm a newbie  (Read 8692 times)

Offline vtwinjunkie

• View Profile
Someone please help...I'm a newbie
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:38:05 pm »
Hello, I saw your post and I need some parts for my mowchine.  I have a 14.5OHV Briggs, MTD transaxle with 3/4" axle.   I have a set of douglas rims for the rear.  3 hole on 2.5" centers.  I need the hubs to mount to the axle.  All I have been able to find is the 1" hubs(go kart style)  :( .  I haven't got the old wheels off yet, so I don't know if the axle is keyed or not.  Maybe you would know.  Can you please help me?  

Also, I don't have access to a welder and I need an exhaust header that is made to fit my mowchine.   I looked at g-team and they offer all the parts, but I still don't have a welder.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your time, Josh

Offline MTDrider1160

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • PALMRA
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:33:14 am »
The axle is probaly not keyed.  You shouldnt need a welder for the exhaust.  I personnaly wouldnt use the stock differential becuase it wont last too long.

Offline vtwinjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 08:46:30 am »
I have came up with an exhaust system.  I found some 1.5" pipe elbows, and a turndown for a side exhaust.  However I am still trying to find either a 1" transaxle, or an adapter for my hubs.  Still no luck.  I finally got the old wheels off, after heating, spraying, heating spraying and beating the ever livin' crap out of them.  
You were right, they are not keyed.  What transaxle do you use.  Is there a 1" trans setup that will work with my MTD.  It is a 7 speed shift on the fly.   Another user had gave me a link to a sweet new Peerless on Ebay, but I don't have that kind of money to spend.  
I also need a front 5" and a rear 2" pulley.  The motor pulley is keyed, and the trans pulley is splined.  What do you run on your MTD?
 I'm at a loss right now....because my wheels/hubs won't fit my axle.  Do you know of anyone who would trade me or sell me a 1" axle trans for my mower....for a decent price?  I'm kinda stuck until I can figure this out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's frustrating not being able to find what I need, as I'm sure you understand.  You can't just go to Wal-Mart and buy the things we use to build these mowchines.  Thanks, Josh

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 01:20:21 pm »
well first of alll get rid of that shift on the fly setup its the varidrive system and no good for racing best thinmg u coul do is tear that out and put in a 700 gearbox and a 1'' live axel and now u dont have to worry about not using ur rims and u dont need a welder to do that either no matter what anyone says
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

Offline vtwinjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 01:28:29 pm »
and put in a 700 gearbox and a 1'' live axel

what do you mean by a live axle, and who makes the 700 gearbox.  Where can I find one of these used?  Will it work with the linkages, etc. on my MTD?  Thanks for your help, Josh

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:44:46 pm »
well u can get a live axel here

and check ebay for 700 gearboxes theres a thread in the driveline section identifing them

u will probly have to change a few of youer linkages for a new clutch its alot of work but in the end its really worth it !
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

Offline vtwinjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:59:58 pm »
Thanks how about brass bushings for the front end spindles?  My front end is sloppier than my wife's......................closet!  hehehe

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 11:46:18 pm »
got mine from napa bring in the old ones and look thru their lawn and garden book im sure ull find a replacement
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

Offline vtwinjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 07:53:00 am »
Matt,

Where can I find a 5 or 6" pulley for the motor, and a 2.5" for the transaxle?  Would NAPA carry these or do you have a better idea?  Josh

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 09:29:31 am »
http://www.phoenix-mfg.com/

I have found some pulleys at my local auto parts/farm supply house.
Even some that have weld on hubs that look very strong.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"