Author Topic: 700 Gearing and distance  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Jay19LM

• View Profile
700 Gearing and distance
« on: December 24, 2009, 07:11:21 am »
Question to those who have drag raced or not. This might be a crystal ball question. What would be a optimum distance to drag race running a stock engine goverened at 4000 or so rpm. And what would be the ideal tranny to axle gearing. I am getting ready to order a rear axle and sprocket for my drag mower. When I raced circle I ran a 800 transaxle, so I have no experience running a 700. Maybe I should concentrate on the overall engine to rear wheel ratio, 8-1, 7-1, 6-1 ?.  Also a 52 tooth rear sprocket looks real common to buy. I guess the question would be is if you were going to drag race your mower(up to 25hp governed at 4000, 16" rear tires) what gears would you use. From all that I read a 8-5 to 12-48 would probably get me in the ballpark. I am honestly wanting to take some of the trial and error out of the equation and I really don't want to spend a lot of money on gears that I can't use. Yea I know,,thats racing.
Thanks to all who reply.

jay19lm

Offline Racerchck51

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm just one of the guys.
    • View Profile
Re: 700 Gearing and distance
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:55:55 pm »
I have a friend that runs a 700..but im not sure what gearing he uses, but I can tell you the distance is between 150, with plenty of shutdown space...sorry I could help more.

Jen
Race for the little girl in the stands that you used to be!
The one that cheered for every racer no matter who they were!
The one that said Daddy, I can't wait to be on the track like them?

Jenny Wade

anything