Author Topic: John Deere Pulling Tractor for 010  (Read 82830 times)

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: John Deere Pulling Tractor for 010
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2010, 11:01:42 am »
Havent updated for a while. The season is over. My last hook I was on a very nice power track, I broke the right axle and bent the left side. I plan on more engine work this winter so out with the old carrier and I picked up a dart setup and axle. I have a buddy thats a machinest. I cut a couple sets of tires for him and he is machining the dart parts to fit my cub axle. Going to leave the diff open since the dart parts wont break. I also picked up a new jug for my Wisconsin.  It has a 2.100 intake valve and 1.750 exhaust.  New custom piston by diamond racing pistons. I need to pick up a carb yet. Looking for a 1.200 on gas. Not going to make too many changes on the chassis this winter. Only some powdercoating work and a clutch linkage ratio change for more pedal travel and clutch control. Gonna try some pulling tires. It should run alot stronger this year.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 11:01:06 am »
I picked up an 1.200 gas carb and a MWSC intake for a stock block kohler to a S&S super b. Just going for it and building it up some more. Running the 52cid class at Lakeshore Pullers in coopersville. It is there sportstock class. Flat heads at 52cid on gas against v-twins at 38cid on gas. I might have might cam reground but not sure. When I get the new cylinder put on the flow bench we will see if the extra lift is worth the money. The cam I have is only .340 lift but 290@.050 on the intake. With a 2.100 valve it should move a ton of air. Going to dyno this combo when done. Hoping for mid to upper 50's in hp. If it will make 55hp I can run with the twins.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:40 pm »
A new go fast part arrived. I also spoke with Tim at isky. He is going to regrind my cam shaft. Cant beat the price to make it better. He has a good grind he is thinking about. .550 lift 300@.050. Building the engine for the 52cid class. All stock wisconsin parts just from different engines. Amazing what a little machine work will get you. 4 inch bore 4.250 stroke.

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 07:47:07 pm »
Here is the new heart of my agnd. I recieved my new jug in the mail today. 2 stage pipe, big valves, big bore. Realy nice porting. Super good machine work.

We werent able to put the 2.100 valve in it. The intake valve had to be moved and could only go to a 1.850. It has a 1.600 exhaust valve as well. Was hoping for a little bigger but did not have the room.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »
Thats a pretty big bore ya have in there, do you have a pix of the original bore size, looks like ya can't get it much larger than that! very nice.
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2010, 10:13:07 pm »
Original bore is 3.500. It is now 3.957
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2010, 10:12:35 am »
That jug has had the original bore bored out of it. You could see right thru the fins. Then a thick wall pipe pressed in braze welded all together and machined with a thin wall liner. The intake port is in the stock location but ramp and angle has been changed. Thanks Bruce. I picked up my cub trans from my machinest buddy he put the dart carrie and axles in it for me. He is also making the hold down brackets for my cylinder head and machineing the block for lip seals instead of the old cork seals it has now. I will post some pics later
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2010, 12:19:30 pm »
This engine should have some big nu*s. Looks like you are getting it where you want it. Before you run the S&S on gas you might touch base with Julian concerning the jetting to try and cover that base and save you some time, he has a lot of experience with that carb.
Bruce Litton

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2010, 12:32:28 pm »
Bruce I have talked with Julian about the carb. He told me where to get the adjustable main jet for it and about where to be with low side jetting. Whats your take on the cam shaft. I am using Isky just because I want to try something different. I am going to have it somewhere between .500-.550 lift. Duration in the 290-300 range at 50 on a 108 lc. With the bore and stroke I am thinking of a power band in the 6500 range. + - .I am thinking mid 50's for hp torque in the high 50's to low 60lbft. What do you think.
I have a couple 38 cid flat tappet cam commands I am going to try and run down this coming summer. This should give them a run.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2010, 02:12:18 pm »
I would say you are about right with the hp. numbers, the torque numbers might suprise you and creep up in the mid 60's. You spin that crank that hard and have the cam, ports right then that motor should hang in there pretty deep on the rpm band when the load hits it, so long as the carb. can supply fuel when the rpm's drop. That is the biggest thing when using bigger carbs. is finding one that will supply top end air, but also supply bottom end fuel. With that bore and stroke combo. you may end up R&Ding your own cam. most of the 60 ci. flat singles out there are either using a 3.75" or 3.875" stroke. They were 50 ci. engines that the bore went bad and eventually some clubs made a class for them, some open super stock flatties come from that situation. The commands will out spin you with their rpm band but you will out torque them, some of the command guys really don't load their motor they just crank it as hard as they can and limit the gears so they don't run out of power, drop a gear and spin it harder philosophy.
Bruce Litton

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2010, 03:05:14 pm »
Here are a couple shots of my dart axles. One with the brake disk on the left and standard axle flange on the right. The diff is left open inside. No welded spiders. First time for me ever to have a non locked diff. Looking forward to how it handles. Should be more predictable.

Bruce do you have any good used 3.937 bore pistons?
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2010, 06:34:06 am »
The only one I have is an old "thunder slug" Arias. I bought it new in the mid 90's and actually used it until about 2003. It is heavier than the pistons today. It is a 3.9375" x 0.875". Let me know if you want it, I would recommend a newer lighter unit.
Bruce Litton

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:26 am »
Bruce pm me and let me know what you want for it. If its in good shape I would be interested in it. My machinest can lighten it up some i'm sure.
Bruce based on your experience with the kohlers in big cid form. What is your take on my camshaft numbers. Duration wise too much/not enough. Or try it and see what happens.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2010, 06:02:32 pm »
Any progress Dennis?
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »
I got a piston. Cam is at Isky. Going with a .535 lift 290@.050 on duration on a 108 lc. The block is getting some machine work. Have a buddy building the tie downs for the head and machining the end plates for lip style crank seals. It has cork crank seals from the factory.  The tie town on the mag side of engine will also have the bolt pattern for midwests crank trigger. I have to have the jug sleeved for the piston yet. I will post some pics when I get it back.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan