Author Topic: ideas for front wheel safety locks  (Read 2792 times)

Offline mountanmax159

• View Profile
ideas for front wheel safety locks
« on: September 10, 2006, 04:24:18 am »
Hey all i need some ideas for front wheel locks i can use with e clips problem is ive tried drilling front spindles no drill bit will touch them yes they were new bits till then and some old ones to. I was thinking of just welding nuts to ends and short bolts and washers for safety to keep them on any other ideas would be appreciated Thanks for ur help

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:44:28 am »
Try grinding a 1/16" off the end of the spindel to get past the hardened surface and then a standard sharp steel bit should work...

You could weld a nut and use a short bolt as you suggested, but then you depending on your welding skills to hold the pressure..

As this is somewhat of a technical question, I'm moving it to the Chassis section...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowfast1

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:06:15 am »
We had the same problem with the spindles on our craftsmans and we did the same thing, welded 3/8" nuts to the end of the spindle. So far haven't lost an e clip so haven't tested the welds, but I know the welds will hold way more than the e clip would.
Get R Done!
Mowfast racing #32

Offline mowdust

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 08:32:11 pm »
My Murray spindels defied my drills also. I heated about 2" of the shaft to cherry red and let air cool. This anneals the metal. I drilled and tapped the shaft and then reheated to cherry red then oil quenched till cool. This rehardened the metal. You still have to be very careful as you drill past the cotter pin hole to keep the bit from snagging and breaking.
Works like a charm!
Don Shilling

Offline mowfast1

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 11:04:28 pm »
Great idea. I will try that next time!
Get R Done!
Mowfast racing #32