Author Topic: Thinking of getting into it...  (Read 231389 times)

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of getting into it...
« Reply #480 on: July 19, 2011, 02:54:53 pm »
Iowa. Wisconsin. Idk if you know matt kaster or not but he's building a diesel also. He's from burlington wisc.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 19, 2011, 06:21:43 pm »
I can make it down south in Wisconsin easy enough , got family in Milwaukee..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2011, 02:22:26 pm »
Alright, I broke down and ordered a new, 3 puck clutch setup, billet plates with yellow spring and HD arm from MWSC..

Saw a few on e-bay and GT classified, but between being used or not the right parts, by the time I upgrade it made more sence to buy all new stuff.. ,

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 04, 2011, 11:53:08 am »
Nice looking piece, will get it installed tonight, have a pull "available" this weekend, but unfortunately I will be out of town.. So will have to wait till the 13th to feel it work..

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 04, 2011, 12:06:18 pm »
You will be much happier with this. These clutchs can be set up with "built in slip" if you'd like. I know that's how a lot of people set them up.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 04, 2011, 12:15:04 pm »
What do you mean by "built in slip"...?  I thought we were trying to eliminate the slip I've been having..?

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 04, 2011, 12:21:15 pm »
I think he is speaking of adjusting the spring rate on the driveshaft. The puck clutches can be made to slip a little even after your foot is off pedal. BUT they will eventually go direct drive unlike the fiber disk. Don't worry Randy. Just make sure the spring length is correct when installed and you'll be just fine. It will not slip when your foot is off the clutch. Leave the clutch tuning till later. You want to control the slip with your foot. Turn it as high as it will go then start letting up on clutch. Slip it as far as you want to get a good launch without breaking traction.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 04, 2011, 06:06:44 pm »
Think I found part of the problem...when I took the old clutch out I see the spring has slid out to 5 1/2" again, that would explain the slippage on the second run.. maybe even the first run.

But I'm not gonna worry about it, new clutch is in and adjusted up, seems to lock in tight on takeoff (left black marks on the pavement, old clutch wouldn't do that) now I just need to practice/get a feel for the new clutch engagement..

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 13, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »
Well, fixed one problem and created a new one...

Clutch holds well, no slippage, but the heavier yellow spring with the extended arm was too much pressure for the almost 50 year old steering tower and clutch arm mount...It bowed out to the point the top of the arm was "clicking" against the driver pins...

At first I thought it was the gears themselves in the tranny grinding, when I tried to put it in gear at the line on the first hook...so I just jammed it in 2nd and got what wind up I could and let 'er rip...

Recall says I never got over 5800, and I think I worked "up" to that down track rather than launch speed...needless to say less than spectacular finish...

Went to pits and seen the arm rubbing the pins and with a little persuation (BH) got some clearance so I could make the 1050 run...That launch was also not of "epic" proportions, I did get rpm up...but release was less than smooth with the flex in the mount, again running a strong 5800 rpm down the track

Was pulling with the Dairyland GT Pullers out of SW Wisconsin on a 275' track.. :omg: Forgot my camera so I didn't get video of the runs...Out of 8 SA's, 4 went 194' to 196' for the wins and 4 of us went 169 'to 178' for the rest of the positions in both the 950 and 1050 class. ( I did 174' and 176' for a 6th and 5th finish)

Considring the clutch trouble I was glad to have done that...

I definetly think I need a different cam, I've been launching at 7,200-7,500 rpm and pulling around 5,400-5,800 and I'm afraid that's all she has... Talking with the top 3 guys (can you imagin asking advice from a 14 yr old..?) they were launching at 8,500-8,900 rpm and running low to mid 7s down the track (only one tooth higher than me) I think I could put the extra 1,500 rpm in the power band to good use if I had it...

Unfortunatly they weren't quite as open with cam numbers as they were rpm but looked like Hackman and Vogel were the cam of choice...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »
Randy I usually put a piece of 2x2 heavy wall angle iron in there behind the tower front pieces. Or like on my sons new cub I enclosed the whole front with with 1/8 inch plate.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 13, 2011, 10:07:46 pm »
Now he tells me... J/K

I saw it flexing when I first put it in, must have taken just so many pumps before the rust gave out and it stayed...

Figured I'd reinforce with maybe a 1/4" x2" bar and now I can make a new mount "U" with tighter holes as well, should make for a smother more consistant pedal feel..

I have to pull the motor and clutch out to do a good job in there so been debating whether I should just pull the motor down and stick a new cam in now...

Have a couple nice "local" pulls the next two weeks (less than 60 miles) I'd like to make, one in the UPGTP 1200# class where I would get a good comparison for the new clutch...the other with a new group just down the road from here....

Might wait till after those...looks like the season goes to end of Sept and one in early Oct so still might have a chance to redeem myself before end of year...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline philr85

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 14, 2011, 01:47:25 am »
well dont forget the camera i wish we coulda seen ya go at it  clutch is defintly beefier
BCLMRA president
technical inspecter @covevalley speedway 2012 is gonna be a an amazing season!
yes its fast no you cant drive it!
highland flats track champion 2009
2010 points champ @ covevalley
phil ruby

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 14, 2011, 08:59:18 am »
well dont forget the camera i wish we coulda seen ya go at it  clutch is defintly beefier
Usually I do, but this pull was @ 10:00 and 3 hrs away from me so I was up @ 5:30 and on the road @ 6:00 to make it...

I don't think straight till 7:00 and after a pot of coffee...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline philr85

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 14, 2011, 11:47:12 am »
wow no wonder you forgot it
BCLMRA president
technical inspecter @covevalley speedway 2012 is gonna be a an amazing season!
yes its fast no you cant drive it!
highland flats track champion 2009
2010 points champ @ covevalley
phil ruby

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 15, 2011, 09:08:59 am »
Got the clutch mount in ...a piece of 3/8" x 2" flat with 1/4" ears welded on for the mount...I don't think it's gonna bend.

Much sturdier now and feels like a clutch should... has a definet engagement point and nice steady spring pressure thru the throw...

Should be easier to feather and give a smooth engagement off the line ...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A