Author Topic: 19.5 HP KOHLER TWIN  (Read 6162 times)

Offline autospec2

• View Profile
19.5 HP KOHLER TWIN
« on: October 30, 2009, 05:21:47 pm »
IS THIS A GOOD RACE MOTOR SOMEBODY TOLD ME THEY ARE HEAVY IS THIS TRUE ? TIS IS AN OPPOSED TWIN WITH OILING SYSTEM. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING 18 HP BRIGGS OPPOSED.

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
Re: 19.5 HP KOHLER TWIN
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:00:00 pm »
kohlers are very heavy if your looking to race briggs is probably the way to go but v twin if you want the big power but if your just starting our you will have to run in a lower class like sp or cp check the rules for the details...
There's somethin' in the works...

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:28:52 pm »
I had a 18 hp Opposed that ran great.. and I revved mine for a whole season.. BUT.... remember how big that flywheel is.. and if it came apart it would do some serious damage.

If you want to run it ungoverned I can give you some tricks from the motor I used to run 3rd in WOO points in 2008. I would see if midwest's V-twin billet flywheel could be modded to run on the opposed Kohler. I would hate to see you hurt.

Great torque engine and I ran mine to 6000rpm with a 7.90 gear for the entire season. Not enough to pass the Ryker vannies but enough to hold on for a heat win and a bunch of 2nds and thirds in the feature..

The 18 Magnum weighs 140 lbs dry weight..

Offline amr5080

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:41 pm »
One nice thing I've seen with these is that there is a removable jug. I was looking into it once, and you can really bore these things out and get some BIG displacement. If you go this route, I believe there is a piston and rod combo for he v twins that will work with the crank. http://www.yetmans.mb.ca/kohler/index.html
That site has a lot of good Kohler specs
Aaron Rupert
Rupert Racing
Pro-x #14
Burris Racing Tires
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."
Lord Amherst

Offline johndoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:27 pm »
www.lakotaracing.com they will have anything that is availible for a kholer ask for don if he is there

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:31:29 pm »
don is a good guy he will make about anything if he hasnt already made it lol... we built his pulling tractor "dr. doom" we built the rolling chassis a few years ago... just saw the tractor again this weekend... dons wife went for a wild ride... she got flung off the tractor going down the track because she over corrected for the tractor getting a little crossed up and the tractor shot across the track and she went flyin...
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline Caseracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:54:53 am »
One nice thing I've seen with these is that there is a removable jug. I was looking into it once, and you can really bore these things out and get some BIG displacement. If you go this route, I believe there is a piston and rod combo for he v twins that will work with the crank. http://www.yetmans.mb.ca/kohler/index.html
That site has a lot of good Kohler specs

The jugs are cast iron and can be bored without sleeves.  I know they can be bored .250 over to give you 3.375 bore or 54.75 cubes with a stock stroke.  It may be possible to go bigger but we'll see.  The stock valves are only 1.375 but there is plenty of room for alot bigger.  They way the heads are designed, they can take a cam of around .500 lift too.  The engines are heavy but the bigger you bore them the lighter they get. :lol:

Jack Jones
Hard Case Racing
Shakin' by a Roller Kohler