Author Topic: 13" Tire axle center line  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Zeus

• View Profile
13" Tire axle center line
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:14:54 pm »
 Am I right in thinking a 13" tire mounted on a 6" rim would be @ or close to 6-1/2" from the ground to my axle center line? I need to be sure for correct frame height. Also should I build in tolerance to stay legal with different tire pressures?
 Thanks for any input.

Zeus
Scott Watkins

If you can't find time to do it right. When are you going to find time to fix it ?

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 13" Tire axle center line
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:22:08 pm »
Well logically yes you are correct half of 13 is 6.5. But when it comes to tires/wheels logic goes out the window. My 13" tires on 6" rims sit at about 5.75" to centerline @ 10 lbs of air drop to 4lbs and I have a wee bit less than 5". The brand and style of tire will make these measurements different too. Best thing to do is get them in hand, mounted and measure them. THEN build your frame.

Offline Zeus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:45:33 pm »
Well logically yes you are correct half of 13 is 6.5. But when it comes to tires/wheels logic goes out the window. My 13" tires on 6" rims sit at about 5.75" to centerline @ 10 lbs of air drop to 4lbs and I have a wee bit less than 5". The brand and style of tire will make these measurements different too. Best thing to do is get them in hand, mounted and measure them. THEN build your frame.

Yup logic went out the window...I measured my 15" on my cub that I mow with It was around 6-1/2" center line. Then I measured a 15" on my bench and it measured 7-3/4 " @ 14lbs inflation.
 So I will get 13" tires mounted then check my center line. Gonna run turf savers.
 Ever feel like the more we try to go forward on a new build the more questions come up ? I think I find what not to do before I find what to do LOL.
Some say its fun I say its not.
Thanks for the input.

Zeus
Scott Watkins

If you can't find time to do it right. When are you going to find time to fix it ?

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:49:26 pm »
Am I right in thinking a 13" tire mounted on a 6" rim would be @ or close to 6-1/2" from the ground to my axle center line? I need to be sure for correct frame height. Also should I build in tolerance to stay legal with different tire pressures?
 Thanks for any input.

Zeus
you could ask around on here, im sure somebody with the exact tire and wheel choice would be willing to do a quick measurement, realizing the chassis is probably the cheapest part of the build, its logical to start there first!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

Offline Zeus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:57:19 pm »
you could ask around on here, im sure somebody with the exact tire and wheel choice would be willing to do a quick measurement, realizing the chassis is probably the cheapest part of the build, its logical to start there first!

Chassis is the most important (other than saftey) part of building a racer from the frame up. In my humble opinion.
Scott Watkins

anything