Author Topic: i need major help  (Read 14837 times)

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
i need major help
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:20 pm »
i have found nobody that knows anything about raing or drag racing mowers im kinda like the odd ball out in town and my family dont know eather so i would like to make my 1988 craftsman into a dragracer but i dont know mutch and trying to learn im 15 , i would like to know is if you need to make your mower into like a go cart or can i put like a acme axle in front and quad rearend, also i would love to set up a snomobile engine on my mower, what will be needed thanks :confused:
matt will  #40
sportsman, super sportsman neplarma
450 pro class mod (quads)

Offline Racerchck51

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm just one of the guys.
    • View Profile
Re: i need major help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 06:22:43 pm »
Hey Matt,

First off im going to say there is nothing wrong with being the odd ball out...We have an association here where i'm at, but try being the only girl in it..Its pretty tough. I noticed you didn't fill out a location in your profile If you'd say that I'd be able to help you more.But without it I will say this. Find an association close to where you are at. An oval association is prolly going to be your best bet. For a drag racer I would suggest reading the build posts on here because they help alot and transfer over for drag or oval especially on the safety ascpect of things. AND as far as the engine I 'm going to say this as nicely as I can as a beginner you need to stick with a lawnmower engine it will be the safest for you and that is truly what the sport is about. If you need help let me know and i'll be happy to explain things to you and If i can't there is an array of users on here that can help you and will. They have all helped me a great deal.

Jenny
Race for the little girl in the stands that you used to be!
The one that cheered for every racer no matter who they were!
The one that said Daddy, I can't wait to be on the track like them?

Jenny Wade

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:41:22 pm »
i live in mifflinville pa 18631, they used to race at a local track but they stoped before my mower was done, and then ill stick with my stock motor for now, the track wont start back up because poor racing habits caused a major wreck and some bad injuries, im trying to build it to the racing rules so it is safe for high speeds i will take it down to the local dragstrip, ill post a video when i go
matt will  #40

Offline Racerchck51

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm just one of the guys.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:14:34 pm »
Ok thats cool.
Race for the little girl in the stands that you used to be!
The one that cheered for every racer no matter who they were!
The one that said Daddy, I can't wait to be on the track like them?

Jenny Wade

Offline freakboy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:16:03 pm »
WOHOOO another P.A. boy!
Kyle wilson
46 ci briggs opposed full pressure lubed under the hood.

Offline amr5080

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:17:29 pm »
There are a lot of different associations in PA. If possible, it would be worth your time to build a class legal mower so that you have something of the same kind to run against.
Aaron Rupert
Rupert Racing
Pro-x #14
Burris Racing Tires
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."
Lord Amherst

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:50 pm »
WOHOOO another P.A. boy!
you live in pa
There are a lot of different associations in PA. If possible, it would be worth your time to build a class legal mower so that you have something of the same kind to run against.
is there a way to find them or do i just ask around
matt will  #40

Offline freakboy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:44:29 pm »
Yup i live in Pa In York county. And I am sure you would have to ask around i know of one. Palmra.
Kyle wilson
46 ci briggs opposed full pressure lubed under the hood.

Offline amr5080

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:46:39 pm »
Aaron Rupert
Rupert Racing
Pro-x #14
Burris Racing Tires
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."
Lord Amherst

Offline deere111

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:58:51 pm »
http://jcomrc.weebly.com/

another ARMA group in pa, great bunch of guys.
sowers mowersports

Offline dandt4238

• Turf Warrior
  • Dean Schopf Jr. Dover, PA
    • View Profile
    • The PA Lawn Mower Racing Assoc.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »
I am in York PA and race with PALMRA ( www.PALMRA.com ) We do not drag race our mowers we are strictly circle track (closed circuit - oval, or road course)  I can offer help towards building a mower to the USLMRA rule book.  I can tell you for our rules the ATV axle would not be allowed, and the snowmobile motor would not be allowed.  Let me know if I can help.
Dean Jr.
Schopf & Frantz Family Mowtorsports
550 FX
505 CPR
161 CP and CPR
523 CPR
181 CP
and our newest driver
     *295 IMOW* Good Luck Ashers!

Offline minimower

• haulin grass!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 06:00:04 pm »
i have found nobody that knows anything about raing or drag racing mowers im kinda like the odd ball out in town and my family dont know eather so i would like to make my 1988 craftsman into a dragracer but i dont know mutch and trying to learn im 15 , i would like to know is if you need to make your mower into like a go cart or can i put like a acme axle in front and quad rearend, also i would love to set up a snomobile engine on my mower, what will be needed thanks :confused:

DUDE!! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! im 14 and in PA
im tryin to make a circle tracker thou
foot to the floor!!!!
what nitrous?
gotta be in it to win it

you can make a small fortune in racing as long as you start with a big one

Offline matts mowing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:08 pm »
since i posted this i decided to turn it back into a dirt track racer.
matt will  #40

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:46 pm »
 :D Good choice!!!
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 11:26:27 am »
Don't just give up yet!!!  If you have your heart set on DRAG RACING...SPREAD THE WORD in your area and get something in the works!!

I raced for a few years with the USLMRA, sold my mower, ready to build up another one for circle track racing...ended up having major shoulder reconstrutive surgery. I've only recently started to feel better...but have lost a good range of motion in one arm that will not come back. I will not be sitting on a mower, side by side, slinging my body around turning left again  :(

With the internal need for speed....I have recently started the build of an ASPHALT drag mower to be raced against ATV's, Motorcycles and sleds at my local dragstrip. I won't be awarded any points or anything of that sort...but it's fine by me. My body can take the stright line abuse far better than the circle track type of racing.

I may be the only one their racing a mower....but I'm sure the exposure will catch on!

How do you think organizations like USLMRA and ARMA got organized?? Sure having major sponsors for an organization helps...but it's people like you and me who keeps any type of motorsport going and growing.

Just think SAFETY!!! no matter what type of racing you do..SAFETY IS NUMER ONE PRIORITY!!!!

Per my local dragstrip, I must follow all safety guidlines in place for the NHRA ATV classes. Additional safety measures are being applied during my build, but at least I have reference class to build off offor safety.
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT