Author Topic: 10 HP issues  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Upgrade302

• View Profile
10 HP issues
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:37:01 pm »
I have a 10hp tecumseh on a craftsman rear engine rider that is giving me fits.  Right now it will start and idle great with the throttle down on slow.  When I crank it up it runs ragged with black smoke and once it warms up it won't idle down.  I looked at Jamie guy3's post and we share a lot of the same issues with some differences.  I have replaced the governor gear and spool in the motor.  I also rebuilt the carb.  My fuel bowl is metal.  I replaced the needles and gaskets and removed the plugs and cleaned behind them, replacing them with new ones.  I also replaced the white plug below the fuel needle as well as a new needle.  The float is the original with no leaks.  I have a lot of fuel running into the motor and mixing with the oil.  After I rebuilt the carb I set the screws to one turn out from snug.  It will also fluctuate while the mower is engaged and the machine is driving.  I will not maintain a running speed.  thanks.

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
10 HP issues
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:40:33 pm »
do you have fuel running out of the carb when it is not running? because I would suspect that the needle in the carb is slightly out of place and not allowing it to close or you have a little piece of dirt in there and it is holding the needle open and pouring fuel into the engine.
David Peters

leafsprings

10 HP issues
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 08:25:10 pm »
I have the same engine in a mower I found in the weeds behind my new house.  I got it running by replacing the coil but it surges wildly and shoots flames out of the exhaust!  I then noticed it was leaking gas under the bowl and sure enough it looks like the inlet valve isn't closing correctly.  The weird thing is that if I leave off the bowl and push up on the float the fuel does stop and I pulled the float off and it has no leaks so I don't know why it's not working.  Could the rubber on the needle be dried out to where the float doesn't have enough pressure to stop the flow but I can still stop it with my finger?  I have no small engine experience so let me know if I'm missing anything.  I do know the bowl gasket is trashed, if that matters... that's how I know the bowl is filling up all the way because the gas leaks around the lip of the bowl.

anything