Author Topic: A little confused  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Huntin Hillbilly

• View Profile
A little confused
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:22:59 pm »
Ok so I just got a new tractor to mow with but that left the old craftsmann. I would like to make a project out of it, it has a 12.5 Kohler Command. Now the question that I have is with a vertical drive shaft how would I go about running a chain drive? The chain would have to be turned horizontal somehow right??? the other question that I have is that I cant seem to find a bigger engine pulley for it and when the clutch is pressed the clutch pulley would hit the engine pulley if I made it any bigger, I've tried flipping the engine pulley around but that wont work. I know about the 700 peerless which I would mostlikely get eventually because it currently is hydrostatic. Any help would be greatly appreciated to help me start this project!!!

Offline LTL101

• View Profile
A little confused
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:51:30 pm »
HillBilly.....everything   you  need   to  know  is  on  this  website....the  Keyword  in  your  question  is  project....and   boy  it  can  be  a  big  one.....I   started  reading  here  a  couple  months  ago.......and  just  about  any  question   you  will  have  will  be  around  in  here  somewhere......start  at   the  top   and  read  and  look  at  all  the  pics...this  place  is  the  best   source  I  have  found.....My  "project"  is  well  under way...and  the  guys  around   here  are   the  greatest   for  answers!....Good Luck  building   yours.....

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
A little confused
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 11:31:16 pm »
See the slideshows on the G-Team Chassis section Hillybilly, that'll answer most of the questions you have on how to get all that to work.  :wink:

Offline Huntin Hillbilly

• View Profile
A little confused
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:11:08 am »
thanks for the help guys, I looked at the slideshows but i still couldnt figure out how to make the chain drive work thats all. But I appreciate it.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
A little confused
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:41:51 am »
Well you run a belt drive from the motor back to your tranny or transaxle, both pulleys there are horizontal configuration, just like the stock set up. Transaxle that's all you need. If you run a tranny, 700 or otherwise, input is on a horizontal axis, output however is on a vertical axis and there you go to chain drive down to the sprocket on your live axle.

Chains will not work on a horizontal plane, or at least not for long anyhow! Likewise you need the belt in there to allow it to slip, that little bit of slip is your clutch.

Offline Huntin Hillbilly

• View Profile
A little confused
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 10:01:28 am »
Yea i messed up in my post when I said "turn the chain horizontal", I meant vertical thanks for the help I understand a little bit more now. Now all I need is a 700 some money and some tools.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
A little confused
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:25:07 pm »
Try E-Bay, search for "Lawn Mower Transmission", there's usually a few on there, sometimes they go high, sometimes they go dirt cheap. Depends on how many racers blew them up last week at the track!

Offline Huntin Hillbilly

• View Profile
A little confused
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 03:42:36 pm »
thanks for the help guys i appreciate it