Author Topic: Tight corners and a gravel track  (Read 7147 times)

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
    • http://jrvmm.tripod.com/
Tight corners and a gravel track
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:20:16 pm »
The track we will be racing on this weekend has the tightest corners in our  circut.  For this situation am I correct in increasing the ammount of ackerman in the left front? I am also thinking of adding shims under the spindle to increase the weight transfer on this tire.  Am I thinking correctly on the setup?
If all else fails-accelerate!
Member of the Jump River Valley Mow Masters

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:07:12 pm »
In general that helps on turn entry and exit and can help minimize push on a regular track...(rear tire pressure differential effects the center of the turn)

But....

You may want to run the track in practice "as is" first, because, depending on the "type" of gravel, the looseness of track surface accents spinning out (loose) on exit...and you may find yourself needing to go the other way to keep from spinning out..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:22:10 pm »
Yea Squidd you need more practice in mud setup's. That Mn. Mud sure gave you fits. Seriously though Squidd is basically correct, if you mower drives good under regular conditions, running on the gravel (loose) track may only need minor air pressure adjustments. I have found mine (BP) on a loose gravel surface pretty much stays the same with exception of dropping right rear air pressure slightly. If its that loose you will be throttle sterring more than anything.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 03:27:18 pm »
Hay Steve
how has it been goin ?? havent heard much abought you from anybody else , thought maybe you quit racein .
were is it that your racing this weekend ? maybe i can slip away and come over and see ya .

Al minaker
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com
http://lawnmonkeyracing.webs.com/

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 05:31:46 pm »
HI ALLEN!!!
We will be racing Saturday @ Chelsea (couple of miles north of Medford on the highway) at 4:00.  And yeah I still have that same old orange and red racer ;).. But this years mods are doing the trick. Out of 8 races I've got 7 features and 4 podiums. Plus some cracked ribs  :shock:  Come on out and there will be some barley pop in the cooler for ya :)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:25:03 pm »
Oh, I can do a Mud Set Up... In fact I was all ready for the feature that never happened...

When we started the Heat, the sky was dry and the track was sticky, and just coming into shape...I was set to run hard and tight...

It wasn't until the second lap the sky let loose and the track turned into a grease covered ice skating rink... :shock:

Was kinda fun actually..slipping and slideing and doing donuts like the "slick track" at the Go-Cart rink...Figured, ride it out and reset for the feature...that's the one that counts anyway...

I know a couple of guys that pulled off early in the heats thinking the same thing...save it for the feature...

Too bad the Tornado warnings came thru and the Sherrif shut down the Fair Grounds before we could run them..

So...I see you broke in the "New Suit"... :wink:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mower_mulisha

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 07:44:30 pm »
Hey Steve what are your classes you guys are running? You guys still using our old rule book with the 2 classes from 4 years ago?  That's only 15 minutes from dad's place. Maybe have to come watch too.

Darrin Polzin
Mower Mulisha Racing Team
#422 SP & BP
WILMRA Race Promotor
www.WILMRA.com
www.g-team.us

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 11:17:09 pm »
Yea same here after the long 45 minute drivers meeting that assured we would get the race in no matter what, I too simply rode out the heat, finish in top 5 was what I went for to have a good start for feature, After heat I changed the tires and setup and was ready to show how much I like slick tracks and everything was shut down. Sucked only a win would help me now in points but its ok I simply have to finish ahead of him to win it all. been there before. And yea I broke in the new suit. It sucks the mud went straight thur it. I was just as dirty after I got it off. Oh well, I will be ready at Nats. He won't win the championship without a fight. I think he knows that though. Wouldn't have it any other way.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:39:38 am »
great to hear from you Steve . and congrads on your sucess this year !!!!
tell your wife that Nicole and i said hi .
not sure if i can make it down or not , we have alot going on right now .
Nicole and i are getting married next weekend !!!! :D and the weekend after were on our way to Ohio for the big National race .
if i dont see you down there take care and GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!
If you dont have anything going on you should come up to Prentice on the 16th of Sep. that is our last race of the season , should be a blast .
you should keep in touch my email address is monkeyfx236@yahoo.com

talk to you later
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 09:09:28 am »
Congrats on getting married.
I miss the track @ Prentice. The clay was a blast to run on.  We only run the one class. http://jrvmm.tripod.com/ is where the rules for us are. Was that you at the gas station in ladysmith this past weekend?

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 10:08:30 am »
No that wasnt me i was in Morris MN for a national race , got my first trophy at a national race ,  second place .
we got rained out and got our finish in the heat race as our finish for the race , not how i wanted to get my first national trophy but what the heck .
Prentice isnt were the clay track is thats Fifield , but prentice is a great track to .
just thinking that could have been my dad and brother if it was on Sun . after noon . i got my brother into racing this year and he is runing my MOWchine from last year , i built a FX for this year WOW is that fun  :D
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com

Offline mower_mulisha

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 05:21:02 pm »
Hey Al we should bring our mowers down to Chelsea on Sat. and show them what USLMRA racing mowchines look like...checked out your guys rules and their pretty much like our prepared chassis with stock motors in them.  You guys still racing without insurance?  Racings fun until someone gets sued.  That's why I'm glad we took on a few USLMRA racers advice and formed the WILMRA. We've got 6 classes to build by plus 2 kids classes this year. For the 6 classes so far this year we've had 72 mowers race. That's not counting the mowers from the 2 kids classes. I know for someone reason you guys like having your own thing but you should come to Prentice Sept. 16th and check out one of our shows. It's something I'm very proud of being apart of and representing.  I wouldn't be the WILMRA Race Promotor if it wasn't something I felt was worth promoting. This last year I realized we're not racing lawn mowers, we're putting on a show and giving a fair or other organization a chance to profit from us as being their main event.  This is only our 2nd year as a LC and we're getting bigger and better every year. Thisyear we've been averaging 50 mowers per event so next year I'm expecting a steady 60+. Within 5 years I expect us to be one of the largest LC's in the United States.  What a Blast!!

Darrin Polzin
#422 SP & BP
WILMRA Race Promotor
www.WILMRA.com
www.g-team.us

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 01:15:25 pm »
Darin, why step in where you arent wanted. This thead was a polite conversation beteen fellow racers.  And then you came in flameing me.
Why? After how you treated Rick and Dave a few weeks ago I think Its going to be a cold day in heck before you(darin) are welcome at one of our races.

P.S. George,I am sorry to flame on your website. But there is some bad blood between our two crews.

Offline mower_mulisha

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 06:08:11 pm »
Treated Rick and Dave a few weeks ago? I didn't even talk to them...think there's some miscommunication going on. No flaming...just checking out a mower race. Easy Steve...no need to get excited.  You're saying I'm not even welcome as far as watching one of your races as a spectator when we allowed some of of your fellow racers to compete in a USLMRA sanctioned event. We don't hold grudges or have problems with anyone. Anyone who brings a mower to one of our races will be able to race providing they have a safe machine and safety equipment....heck if no safety equipment there's always plenty of fellow drivers willing to turn over a helmet, gloves or neckbrace to let another racer compete.  We're just looking to allow anyone interested in racing lawnmowers and helping us put on a great show to be apart of what we have going on.  There's no beef against you guys. So take it easy Steve....no hard feelings here.

Darrin Polzin
#422 SP & BP
WILMRA Race Promotor
www.WILMRA.com
www.g-team.us

anything