Author Topic: John Deere 111 Rookie Build  (Read 56720 times)

Offline robdnice

• View Profile
John Deere 111 Rookie Build
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:23:03 am »
Ok guys. Here are the few pics I took when I was building my early 80's John Deere 111. Feel free to comment, question and criticize as you please, but do keep in mind this was my first build, and I could not find any information (like pictures and specs) for this model jd111.

What I started with.

About 65% torn down

The bare frame (Rookie move-Dont paint before you weld  :bash:)

Cleaned peerless 700 (Before the lock spacers and gear oil)

Home-made front axle (2x1 16.25" long with fixed 10 degree caster, 10 degree camber & 10 degree KPI)

"C-Notched" the frame to the bottom of the motor plate gave me 4" of clearance WITH tires at 15 psi. I eventually modified the spindle so the spindle bolt would be on the bottom therefore giving me a little bit if room to play with tire pressures down the road.

Another view of "C-notch"

Found the axle height with rear tires and calculated the measurements to cut the hole in the frame for the rear axle.

Mocked up the fender to take clearence measurements between the rear tire and the bottom of the fender. Ended up mounting the front of the fender panel straight to the center plate and raising the rear (seen in the next picture) for a downforced look (THANKS ROOSTER!!! For the help on that one)

Raised the rear fender panel 3 1/4" to clear the rear tires with 3/4" square stock 1/8th" thick.

With the framerail type mower, I took a chance on re-enforcing the rails with 2 "X" crossmembers to keep the frame rails from tweaking. The motor plate would stiffen the front, the center plate and "X" crossmembers stiffen the center, and the home-made tranny plate (Later seen) would stiffen the rear.

Cut the transaxle mounts / trailer connect / Bottom of rear fender mount plate off flush with the frame rails.

Trimmed a section of the rear fender plate to make room for the sprocket

1st design - mocked the brake system up on the left rear outside. It was later moved to the left rear inside for clearance purposes.

Fabbed up a structural steering column with bearings to support the stress that would later be put upon it. Made it a "Bolt-in" column for easy removal when needed. (I'm not religous... It just turned out that way  :D)

Top side of the column through the dash. The dash actually shares some of the support on the column as well.

Home-made steering arm for the spindle. I used a leftover spindle bracket for the angles and drop down. If you notice the "C" shaped cut in the bracket, that was to allow the mower to go to the full lock position. It was later re-enforced with another plate of steel for rigidity.

The home-made steering pitman arm. Length was long due to keeping the wheel from "wrapping around."

A view of the tie-rod and drag link

Notched the frame rail to make room for proper clearance for the function of the brake master cylinder. If you cant tell, it is mounted on the right side frame rail on the inside at about the midpoint (length). I chose the right side so it would work with the right side pedal.

A better view of the notched frame

The linkage. Brake pedal mounts to brake rod. Master cylinder bolts to brake rod. Brake rod pulled back by tension spring.

Transmission with sprocket, tranny plate, tensioner, rear axle sprocket and chain. The trans plate was raised 3/4" upwards off the frame rail to keep the belt even with the motor pulley (Not shown)

Trans sprocket and tensioner. The plate was later notched to allow clearance for adjustment

Ahh the clutch assembly... This took some thought... At factory height it would not clear the "X" members. So I lowered it with a spare spindle cylinder (Which happened to be the same inside diameter as the clutch). It was then again modified and reversed to work with the left side pedal so the clutch assembly would draw tight on the "Slack side."

Tranny mounted. The lines you see are brake lines which were later covered with heater hose to avoid rubbing through on the bare metal.

2nd design - I moved the brake caliper to the inside to avoid clearance issues with the left side rim. Makes it a pain to pull the rear axle out but hopefully I wont have to do that too often.  :confused:

Cut the factory shifter and mounted it to the bracket which controls the shifting in the transmission.

Cut the rear fender panel to make room for the shifter to slide side to side.

Used a water outlet pipe from a GM vehicle to direct the exhaust in a downward manner.

Made room for the battery and hold-down, and fuel tank. The fuel tank was used from a power washer. Later, rubber insulation was installed between the battery and fuel tank to avoid any rub thru's or mishaps (Not shown).

Steering wheel from JEGS and throttle assembly from Mr. Andrews.

And this was what it looked like coming off the Bimbo Racing assembly line.

In the paint booth.  :lol:  Found Deere Green and Deere Yellow at my local supply store.

...AND THE FINISHED PRODUCT!!!  :woo:

Things that were not shown or mentioned include:
-Using the hinged shoot off the deck for the right side of the mower and using the left edge of the deck on the left side of the mower (Trimmed for USLMRA height rules)
-Covering the rear sprocket (An aluminium splash shield was used off of a 2009 Silverado)
-Mounting the seat directly to the fender
-Adjusting the governer spring tab to get more RPM's
-Mounting the IMOW pulleys from Acmemowersports
-Making hood hold downs
-The amount of time spent building, thinking, pondering, sweating and bleeding over this mower

There may be some (Or a lot depending on how you look at it) things I have just forgotten from not taking pictures, but if you are a john deere builder and have some questions, I will do the best I can to help and answer you fully to my knowledge (I am no expert on this!)

A huge thanks to:
 "LITTLEMOW" for getting me into this sport, the amount of time and effort you helped put into my mower with me, and the free electric :lol3:,
My Fiance for putting up with the long nights, compressor noise, foul language (There was a lot of that :oops:) and lost time I could have had with you  :wub:,
My Dad for telling me not to rush, advising me, and helping me finalize my build,
Grumpys Bar & Grill for helping me drink away the bad times, providing me with the great food and giving me an awsome sponsorship,
Heymow.com Readers for putting up with and answering my stupid questions, and providing me with the information used to build my racing mowchine
and last but not least...
The Friends and everyone else who supported me, encouraged me and were right there with me the whole time.

Thank you guys!!!  :woohoo:

Hope to see you guys out there on the track sometime! Good luck to you!

Racing at Ducks Family Resturaunt 06.28.09

Chasing down #47
(Photos courtesy of Nice Wonders Photography at www.nicewondersphotography.com)

Let me know what you think Heymow readers think. Good night.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: John Deere 111 Rookie Build
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:11:53 am »
nice job for a first timer. Someone did some home work.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:54:40 am »
That is a decent ride, for a green one...  :P

Good job!!!!!
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:20:01 am »
Good looking mow-rider!
Welll, what place you finish?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline robdnice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:38:07 am »
That is a decent ride, for a green one...

You know what they say birdman... "Nothing runs like a Deere"

Rooster, I finished 3rd in my feature.

Offline swmoracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 05:03:38 pm »
That is a sweet ride!!!I want to build a Deer.One thing I noticed when looking at the pictures of the trans plate,did you use a coller to support the input shaft of the trans.The picture that is on here there is not one is why I am asking.I am not picking at your build just dont want you to have problems.I like the x-braces that you put on the frame too.I bet that made it rigid!Good looking build!!Cant wait to see your next one.
Brent Scott
2009 AHLMRA Modified Single Points Champion
2009 AHLMRA C/P Runner Up

Offline accutune

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:59:57 pm »
2nd design on the brakes.   its good to know that i am not the only one that has to go back re-think and do things over. lol great looking mower

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »
2nd design on the brakes.   its good to know that i am not the only one that has to go back re-think and do things over. lol great looking mower

Thats part of building a race mower!

You know what they say birdman... "Nothing runs like a Deere"

You forgot it smells like a John!   LOL

Just kidding!   Your mower turned out Great! Looks good!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:32:38 pm »
Rob, it was great meeting and racing with you Sunday. You did a great job on your JD L111 IMOW. Looks and seems to handle great.  I tried to watch you guys and see how you did. (I was in the first division of IMOW, you and my Wife were in the second wave.).....
Tell your Dad thanks for the awesome pictures, he's a true pro!....it was a blast talking with him.
I hope to see you guys soon...you know where to find me if you need anything!

Flipper
Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA
2013, 2014, 2015 IMOW 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017  Presidents Award for Excellence Mason
2017 North American ARMA National 1st Place Champion Mod-XR-T Class

Offline robdnice

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:16:37 pm »
One thing I noticed when looking at the pictures of the trans plate,did you use a coller to support the input shaft of the trans.

swmoracer, i did not purchase the input shaft collar for the trans but it is on my next order along with some taller tires.

You forgot it smells like a John!

Smells like a john?  :omg: Thats the smell of MTD drivers messing their pants when they see a deere passing them on the outside  :owned2: J/K!!!  :lol:

Flipper, It was great meeting you as well, along with your herd! I think we were the only deeres there... The 111 handled great I thought, but I saw what you were talking about with the turf pros being a shorter tire. That #47 pulled on me a little in the straights. I am trying to get some turfmasters before the July 12th race at steppingstone. I here its a big track and am gonna need all the speed I can get to stay competitive. needless to say it was a great experience and some of the most fun I have had. If you dont mind, check out my tire thread and share your opinion. It would be greatly appreciated!!!  :twothumbsup:

http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=11140.0

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
  • #88L "Made To Dominate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:48:21 pm »
flipper: I thought about what you said as well with a taller turfmaster tire helping in IMOW. I noticed on my runs, i could pull you guys in the turns n' off the corner. and stayed pretty close to the same on the straights. Remeber what the IMOW was desgn'd for: fair mowers suppose to be down to driving skill. So i will save my $100 bucks worth of rear tires and put it into my V-twin next year!!!
*2010 2nd year/ First year mod-x c/p*
*2009 1st year build/ IMOW class*

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:50 am »
Smells like a john?  :omg: Thats the smell of MTD drivers messing their pants when they see a deere passing them on the outside  :owned2: J/K!!!  :lol:
http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=11140.0
:lol3: :+1:
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:57:26 am »

The only way a Porta Potty:lol: oops I mean John Deere will pass an MTD on the outside is if its going in the opposite direction.  :lol:
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline robdnice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 09:05:02 am »
I knew it was coming... :lala:

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 10:56:12 pm »
Bobby, for IMOW and just about everything else, we all use Carlisle Turfmaster 16x7.5x8 4ply on a Douglas 8x8 rim (4 Bolt) (EC has the rims).

Now for the Steppingstone Museum track in Havre De Grace MD, be prepared...it's not a flat track....it will have serious hills.....so, your'e gonna do some climbing and coasting. We have always had a blast there especially last year.

I think we will do a rolling start, which will be great for me!, The Doc said I still have a few more weeks in the cast, but I can still keep racing! Whoo Hoo!

Will see You There!

flipper: I thought about what you said as well with a taller turfmaster tire helping in IMOW. I noticed on my runs, i could pull you guys in the turns n' off the corner. and stayed pretty close to the same on the straights. Remeber what the IMOW was desgn'd for: fair mowers suppose to be down to driving skill. So i will save my $100 bucks worth of rear tires and put it into my V-twin next year!!!

Markie Mark! Good call!....those turf Pro's will work great with a V-Twin.......They are great for dirt/clay tracks, not so great on grass, especially wet grass. (at least for my BP) I still have a fresh pair if you need a spare set.

Did'nt see you at the Duck Diner Track last Sunday?
Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA
2013, 2014, 2015 IMOW 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA