Author Topic: 18 hp opposed  (Read 2305 times)

Offline dropzone

• View Profile
18 hp opposed
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:51:42 am »
Is the crankshaft in a 18 hp opposed horizontal the same as the vertical. I have a chance to get a vertical shaft to use for parts for for my horizontal cheep just wondering if the cranks will interchange.

mmsports

Re: 18 hp opposed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:47:53 am »
I don't know for sure, but they are supposed to be the same from what a briggs rep told me. The only thing you need to do is test fit it.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »
Most of them the pTO end is the same, but some of the horizontals had attachments on the flywheel end, so it may or may not be different.
Some of the attachments were hooked to the flywheel so the crank is the same.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:57:02 pm »
Kind of. The vertical crank has a longer bearing surface on the pto end. close to 2 inches longer total length. You also will have to use the correct timing gear because one is wider than the other. It will give you end play issues. It does work. I use them alot in horizontals but you have to make adjustements for the pto end. A vertical crank will stick out of a horizontal alolt further than a true horizontal crank. Other than that and a couple model numbers there thye same
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline dropzone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:30:19 pm »
I got the engine today and I can see the PTO side is longer. I need to use the cam gear from the horizontal right ? If needed should I shem the crank on the PTO side? Thank you for the info.

anything