Author Topic: IMOW- governor ?  (Read 12091 times)

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
  • #88L "Made To Dominate"
    • View Profile
IMOW- governor ?
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:14:17 pm »
ok- here goes: Yes, the search button worked but then didn't work for my certain problem. I find it easier to just ask. So 12horse single flat head briggs, Imow Class. Bent the tab to get around 3650. New plug, Fresh gas(no fuel pump) All that kind of jazz is good. Now at idle i'm looking at about 1100-1380 rpm. Yea hand throttle hooked up, when floored it is smooth all the way up will the Gov. kicks in. Then it does that surge. I can sit there and watch the Gov. n Buttler fly just bounce back and forth eveyrtime. Tried adjusting how far the throttle cable pulls the whole factory linkage, no change in the surge. Gov. sping from arm to carb is there and tight. Spring from that "tab" i adjusted is tight. All is clean and smooth. Yes I cleaned carb, and by clean i mean where ever i could stick a .035 welding wire, it went there. o a LMT 56 carb is what we have. Lastly I have gone every which way with the what i have read is the "Idle" Mixture screw? The one under the idle adjustment but left of another screw. That other screw is tight by the way. I have started at 1.5 turns out and have backed it out from there nd no change. Questions/ Comments? :confused:
*2010 2nd year/ First year mod-x c/p*
*2009 1st year build/ IMOW class*

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: IMOW- governor ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »
Try taking that "tight" screw out and cleaning the passages in there..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:12 pm »
Did- I can take it back out and double check. What would this screw be for again?

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:38:45 am »
I will Re-check that "tight" screw tonite. Now this is the one to the right of the actual adjustable screw. Can anybody give me a heads up to what this screw actually does? I know the High speed jet is the one in the bowl/float. Any other suggestions to my problem?

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:57 am »
That screw is part of the low speed porting when you pull it out you should see a cross hole in the pin.
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Old Goat

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Juniata County Outlaws Mower Racing Club
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:04 pm »
Sounds like maybe you need to get an adjustable high speed needle from EC. If you do get one, you will have to remove the high speed jet.
Jim Klauss
Boogity Boogity boys, let's go racin'
http://jcomrc.com/

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:17:59 pm »
ok now if i'm not mistakin would that be illegal in IMOW. Must be stock down to the airfilter correct?

Offline Old Goat

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:26:31 pm »
The adjustable high speed needle is a stock Briggs part. I don't have an IMOW, but I am pretty sure it would be legal.
Jim Klauss

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:11:12 pm »
That screw is part of the low speed porting when you pull it out you should see a cross hole in the pin.
  How does the low speed/ idle screws help out at this high rpm problem i'm having? I guess they all are tied together in making a carb work? Lastly i belive that low speed screw and the high speed both should be hand tight? Once tight i'm just adjusting from that idle mixture screw with the spring? Sorry for all the Q?'s but i'm atleast trying to get this thing correct. lol

Offline Old Goat

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:53:00 pm »
All carburators and engines are different, but a good starting point for both the high and the low mixture screws (not the low speed jet, the "tight" screw) is to turn the screw in until it bottoms out (dont crank it down real tight, just til' it touches) and then back it out about one and a half turns. That should get you fairly close. After it warms up, then you can adjust it from there. I usually try to adjust the low speed mixture first (the one on the side) before adjusting the high side (the one that goes straight up into the bottom of the bowl, that you can get from EC) because the low side will affect the high side setting a little bit.
Jim Klauss

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 10:39:52 pm »
Old Goat- Thanks! That "this screw here" and "that screw there" helps to understand alittle.

Now tonite, pulled the ol' lmt 56 off, re cleaned it. The little holes by the choke and all. If i saw a hole i stuck something into (no pun intended). Re-attached, new gaskets of course. Discounted my throttle cable so i can just slide the white plastic dohiggy with no other mod's hendering me. Start it, set idle to about 1300 sounds bout right. Hold it wide open hit 3300 smooth as can be. Now 3380 and up same surge happens. While holding the throttle wide open i adjust the "idle mixture" screw from the 1.5 i started at to about a total of 2.5 turns outs and it slightly smooths out, but stilll surges. Were talking if i could see the tach that quick about 80rpms. And this is at only 3570ish, Still 90 rpm's to go and it only gets worse. The only hindering i could see is that i'm gravity feed fuel and i'm down to bout 1/4 tank in an MTD fuel tank. Might not be the problem, trying to give you the whole scoop. Side note, i do have an old 1 peice carb from a 10hp briggs with an adjustable "high side screw" in the bowl. Should i try swaping this and seeing if maybe i just have a air/fuel problem? Any input would be awesome!! If i confuse you let me know.

Offline Feather Head

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:45:27 pm »
One thing that happened on my stock stuff is at wide open the linkage from the governor to the carb was bent and at wide open throttle it would hit the air box and cause it to bounce and not hold steady, might something worth looking at too
Nathan Mesalk
Mod-X #308
2010 US Rookie of the Year
http://www.bsmra2.com/

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:43 pm »
ok i will look at that. Good idea!. I was thinking it has to be simple. Just got to pin point it.
 Tomorrow i will try to unload a video that shows what happens.

Offline LittleMow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:38 am »
This is the best i have gotten the surge to stop. this is only at 3300 rpm's if i bump it up any more it realy starts to surge. I'm going to try the adjustable high speed needle tonite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTSYrdMjnrs

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 09:13:33 am »
You said you was down to 1/4 tank, fill it up.
You said you had a different carb, try it.

Point is here, try everything you have available to pin point the problem. Even if they sound like it shouldn't help! Even if everyone tells you it doesn't matter, it won't hurt anything to try! I have spent alot of time searching for answers because "I know it's not that!"

Dirt, air leaks, plugged lines, low pressures...these are the evils of carb tuning!

How old is the governor spring..I have fixed a few of surging grass cutters with new springs!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com