Author Topic: Cub Cadet 70 Series  (Read 10551 times)

Offline acrylic51

• View Profile
Cub Cadet 70 Series
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
I was given the old tractor still has the original 8hp motor on it....did run a year ago....Want to convert this over to a good puller.....What would I need to do to the rear end?  Any thoughts on the Kohler K series 301 motors?

Wheelhorseracer

Re: Cub Cadet 70 Series
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:45:16 pm »
I pulled with an 8 hp Kohler and it worked great... the 301 is a great motor also..

You might want to check out Midwest Super Cub for all the pulling parts you would need for the Cub..

Offline acrylic51

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:36:23 am »
Can anyone running the older cub tell me if it's just the axles and pinion gear that need to be changed out or what the swap is on the rear?  Thanks!!!

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:10:56 am »
Many pullers run the 8 1/4 ring and pinion from the Dodge Dakota, or earlier Mopar..

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:11 am »
You will not necessarily change the ring and pinion out unless you buy an aftermarket set that is sold by either Vogel manufacturing or Midwest supercub. As far parts used from Mopar you can use the 8 ¼” carrier, you can shorten a set of axles for this if you want but you will end up using a smaller bearing size with the Mopar axles or you could buy a set from Midwest Supercub that will utilize a larger bearing. Less friction-stronger axle. You will have to bore out the axle housings to accommodate the different bearing for the axles. You can buy a set of bearing cups from Vogel or Midwest. You will not use a Mopar ring and pinion. The tranny gears you can buy from a half dozen different places. A hardened top shaft is also available from Vogel or Midwest SC. Also changing out the front bearing holder for the pinion shaft would be a wise idea. Are you wanting to use 2, 3 or 4 pulling gears? You will have to decide this before you buy the appropriate package when you order your gears. If going with a 4 pulling gear set up, you will also have to come up with a different set of shifting forks. Again, Vogel or Midwest SC sell them. I made my own but most people don’t want to mess with that. What motor are you putting in this tractor? Which class? If you are going to pull in a class that requires a full on pulling transaxle then you will also have to make clutch changes. Depending on which class you are pulling will determine which clutch to use. If you are using a stock stroke motor then you can use either Vogel or Midwest SC. If you are pulling a well built 50ci motor then I would recommend using the Vogel clutch only, I have smoked the 3 and 4 puck MSC clutch. I may give the 5 puck a try if I don’t have the Money for the Vogel clutch. As far as using the old Cub Cadet 70 there is absolutely nothing wrong with using that tractor. My first tractor was a Cub Cadet 100; the only difference is the motor between the 70 and 100.
If you want to put the 12hp. motor in that frame the only thing you will have to come up with is the correct oil pan for the 3.25 stroke Kohler motor that fits the Cub Cadet Frame. Vogel and Midwest SC sell them. After that the motor will drop right in the frame and bolt up.
Bruce Litton

Offline acrylic51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:45:53 am »
Thanks Big daddy!!!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 06:28:49 am »
I hope that helps you. If you need anything else feel free to ask.
Bruce Litton

Offline acrylic51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:13:57 am »
Probably another annoying question, but I thought I was reading a post somewhere and wondering is there any advantage of a solid front axle vs. a pivoting front axle?

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:34:52 am »
Thats really up to you and what your personal preference is. The one I use has very little pivot. If you know you will only be on flat terrain then I would just have a solid low slung axle. The more the pivot the more slam effect you might have on your spindles if your front end comes down suddenly.
Bruce Litton

anything