Author Topic: 20 hp Command  (Read 5548 times)

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
20 hp Command
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:28:02 pm »
I have a couple questions, I bought a 20hp Command Pro and I'm going to install a mild cam.
Will my stock rods hold up?
Will the stock rockers hold up?
Will adjustable pushrods hold up in a racing motor?
Thanks for any information you can give me. The cam is going to be a Cheetah grind.

Wheelhorseracer

Re: 20 hp Command
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:30:29 am »
it all depends what type of RPM you want to turn...

I think if you are going to upgrade the cam and the motor is apart.. then maybe it would be a good time to put in rods to be safe..

Offline Caseracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:46:11 am »
Wayne,  I'm not sure of the Cheetah grind but if it has much more than stock lift, you will need the .300 longer valves and springs for sure.  My Command Cam has a total lift of .560 with 1.6:1 rockers.  I used the Lakota Racing Valves and springs.  I used the roller rocker kit from Midwest Super Cub.  This kit has the push rod guide plates and an aluminum inserts that require some machine work to install but it allows the 3/8" rocker studs to be used.  The Command heads respond very well to porting too.  You can gain alot of hp by cleaning up the castings and smoothing the square corners.  Both companies sell Moly push rods that can be cut to length.  I've been told that the stock rods are decent but I personally didn't trust turning them up to 8000 so I went with a set from Midwest.  They also have flat top pistons.

Jack Jones
Hard Case Racing
Shakin' by a Roller Kohler

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:37:01 pm »
Wayne, If your installing a cam better put some rods in it. I would also look around at the differnent cam places to see what is out there. There are more options than Precision for a command cam. Vogel MFG, super cub, Hackman, Web cams in california will do anything you want to a cam. I know stock heads will take around a .440 lift cam. The roller rocker setup is real nice. It is in my stepdads ch18 along with a hackman cam and supercub bottom end. As Caseracer said the cylinder heads hide a lot of HP. We just got a set back from having a bunch of work done to them and it made a very nice difference in the way the engine performed. My own opinion from using the adjustable pushrods, there junk. Figure out your correct needed length and get some proper one piece ones. There are some nice cam grinds out that use stock rockers with a set of high performance hyd lifters and run with the stock rocker hold downs.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:44:49 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to change the rods to Billet rods and upgrade the pistons to
J&E pistons. I priced OEM parts to day and the prices blew my mind, $105 for a OEM piston. That rings and all but for $140 I can get a J&E piston set up. The reason I called Precion is I live close to them,I'm 20 miles away from Precion Cams and 7 miles away from Dyno Cams. I want a mild cam because this is my first racing build. I was a little scared of the Adj. pushrods also that why I asted. Thanks again for all of your replys. 

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:15:18 pm »
Flathead Puller can you tell me how to contact Hackman about a cam.Also can some one tell me if it's legal in AMRA and
US to run a Carb from a K series Kohler and adapter on a Command. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05:23 pm »
Try searching on yahoo group "gardentractorpulling" Make sure to check around though, hackman cams are pricey but they run good. However Chuck at Vogel MFG has been doing it alot longer and has more grinds for the command. Are you running it horizontal or vertical? I would personally run a command pumper single barrel carb. They have an accerator pump in them and would work great for on/off throttle like the racers need. Vogel and Lakota can also rework it for you with an adj main jet and vstack. The hackman cam thats in my stepdads ch18 is really peaky. If you get under it at all the engine will not pick it back up. The vogel grinds might be a little better for roundy round. If Chuck doesn't have it he can grind it for you.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:45:36 am »
you mean AMRA or ARMA?

US you cannot run carb adapters. Must bolt directly to a stock intake.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:49:25 am »
ARMA, Sorry about that. Flathead Puller Thanks, I'll try that, It's a vertical. What I was thinking about running one of them 1.2 recast carbs like they run on PS pull tractors.

Offline Caseracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:24:58 am »
Wayne,  Lakota has an excellent grind for the Command for racing also.  My partner runs one and it pulls strong up through the rpm range.   As far as the carb,  I don't think a recast carb would be legal but the #30 OEM would.  On the vertical shaft single barrel intake you can redrill the mounting holes and bolt the #30 on without an adapter.

Jack Jones
Hard Case Racing
Shakin' by a Roller Kohler

anything