Author Topic: 2000 JD 445/Kaw V-Twin Liquid Cooled Engine Problem  (Read 4787 times)

nipstech

2000 JD 445/Kaw V-Twin Liquid Cooled Engine Problem
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:59:25 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, since I don't use this tractor for racing, but I really need some help.  Here's the lowdown:

I almost completed mowing approx. four acres and had to stop to refill the fuel. I had 5 gals of fuel from the previous season that was treated with StaBil, but when I restarted the tractor, it ran fine for about 10 seconds, started to lose RPMs and was blowing out a slight amount of white smoke from the exhaust. Then it would keep losing RPMs until it stalled out. Subsequent attempts at restarting the tractor would cause the same symptoms. I changed the plugs and fuel filter, drained the fuel tank, cleaned the mesh filter in the tank, drained all the lines and filled the tank with fresh fuel treated with Lucas.  It didn't do any good, so I took the tractor to a friend who does a lot of work stroking quad engines and although he admitted all his work is on non-fuel injected engines, he thought that the injector system might be having problems, based on the fact that when the key is turned on, you can hear the fuel pump working and fuel being delivered into the intake chamber, and the tractor would start, run normally, then finally stall as though it was running out of gas. BTW, he is planning on educating himself on fuel injection since the quads are all heading in that direction; he just has too much work right now...

I would like to take a look at the injector(s), but have no documentation on the engine. What I've read on-line is that there could be one or two injectors, etc, a rail if there's more than one injector. Can someone help me figure out how to remove the injector(s), what to look for and untimately make a decision as to replacing or repairing them. I suspect that since the problem didn't occur until I refueled the tractor, the problem isn't likely to be in the electronics, but more likely to be some sort of fouling.  The last time I had a problem with this tractor, it cost me almost $300.00 for the J.D. dealership to change the throttle cable and change an in-line fuse holder that was corroded. I'm sure most of that cost is in labor since it took them a week to fix the problem.  With the economy being the way it is, I just can't risk an expensive repair bill right now and want to do as much as possible myself.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Slick Rick

• Turf Warrior
  • Rick Capuano
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 JD 445/Kaw V-Twin Liquid Cooled Engine Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:13:22 pm »
If taking the injectors out is the same as a car, then you just pull them out.(They might have o-rings in them, if they are like this be careful as to not damage them)
Rick Capuano

"Racing is a matter of spirit not strength."
- Janet Guthrie

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:29:47 pm »
http://www.mytractorforum.com/  This site is probably your best best for help on your situation.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:04:53 pm »
I've ran through this same problem because I work for a JD dealershep myself. I know it sounds crazy but replace the sock on ur fuel pump and that will cure the problem.
Oops just incase you don't know remove the fenderdeck and that way you can get to the top of the fuel tank. Remove the fuel pump from the tank and replace that sock. Re install everything you took off.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

crazyman

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 01:09:48 am »
I too work at a Deere dealership on the small stuff.

White smoke? I can't help you without some testing, but I can tell you that it has one injector, it's got a pink color on the plastic, and it's $270 last time I had to replace one.

I bet you popped the gasket between the manifold and heads, or a headgasket. What did the smoke smell like? Sweet? Burning oil? Eye watering black smoke? My money is still on antifreeze.