Author Topic: Briggs Stand on Mower Racing  (Read 27226 times)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
Re: Briggs Stand on Mower Racing
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2011, 01:51:58 am »
Because we don't like you! -laughing-  Jon, I'm just kidding.  We are a part of the OPEA (Outdoor Power Equipment Association) which has a stand on lawnmower racing.  This is why you see little, if any direct involvement from engine or end equipment manufacturers.  It comes down to liability and people OUTSIDE of lawnmower racing emulating what you do.  The view of OPEA is that this equipment was never intended or designed for this type of use and therefore is dangerous.

I personally would LOVE to be a part of it but corporately we can't.
Have fun, I'm jealous!
Dave

I know that you have to prove racing association membership to buy a factory race sled from Arctic Cat and I though you had to prove you were a karter to buy engines from briggs?  Is that true? Why couldn't they do that? I know there would still be used race engines for sale but it would let the racers buy factory race engines while keeping the ppl that want to make a stocker fast out.  Just a thought.

It is not Briggs Policy that we need to work on, It is the OPEA!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline wulfy01

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2011, 09:41:15 am »
Ok, thanks for the info.  I didn't realize that just anybody could buy animal and raptor engines.
Justin Wulf
SP #w01

Offline WilliamEnglish

• Turf Warrior
  • Riley English, Ellerbe Lions Club Park Jr. Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »
I don't understand that line of thinking. Yamaha makes just about anything....from violins to yes...lawnmowers. They manufacture probably the most widely used kart engine in the world...the KT-100.....and now they are supplying 4 stroke kart engines to race with too. I think the differance is that Yamaha. .....and Honda to a similar degree...know that by willingly supplying the motorsport industry with their engines creates brand loyalty...that they will sell more of everything by not worrying so much about product liability...as they do about product loyalty. I wish Briggs and all the other manufacturers would see past this and support the people that support THEM. The civil aviation industry was also killed by companys that were more worried about product liability issues than they were making their products. Maybe Briggs will see past this and learn from other companies mistakes.
SSR Racing
The Rocketshop!

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2011, 05:33:39 pm »
GET IT PAST THE OPEA AND YOUR IN.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2011, 02:16:58 am »
GET IT PAST THE OPEA AND YOUR IN.
Wow..someone actually got the point
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2011, 02:09:33 pm »
Actually...our legal system has passed more common sense laws in the last few years. Many of the frivolous lawsuits have begun disappearing. Many of the ridiculous stories you hear are old and no longer happen.

And many times it is not only Liability but image as well. Have you ever thought that maybe they kjust do not want to be associated with Lawn Mower Racing?
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline fx28

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2011, 07:52:38 pm »
We can all keep hoping that someday the stand will change, but with all the bad things that can happen with power equipment it just does not make sense for them to publicly accept mower racing. Karts have the separation not being able to do anything but run on a race track and for the most part limit the liability to a controlled and insured area of anything bad that can happen. Also hopefully with responcible adults watching, little johhny or jill having controlled fun. We dont need to look any farther than youtube to see that this is not always happening with mower racing.
    I spoke with Dave Klaus at Kartfest about 8-9 years ago and he was very interested about what was going on with mower racing back then. he was just not allowed to say Briggs was all for it. Look at any new engine box from Briggs and they all have liability disclamer on them.

Chuck Miller

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2011, 11:18:58 pm »
IT still comes down to ,PEOPLE DO NOT TAKE RESPONABILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS!THEY ALSO DON'T THINK PAST THE END OF THEIR NOSE! It would be nice to see briggs and the rest of the manufactures make, let's say,make better parts. Without intent for racing mowchines. [but we will know better just don't tell anyone]   IT would be nice to see - just my 2 cents -  rooster you really are a pot stirrer!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

anything