Author Topic: Sparta Michigan, July 21 2006 **Lots of picks**Video**  (Read 12529 times)

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Sparta Michigan, July 21 2006 **Lots of picks**Video**
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 02:55:36 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
That's pretty interesting, I totally forgot about dial-up users.

I take high quality photos (for my 5.1 Mp camera) and size them down to 1024x768 and also save them at a lower dpi (80%) so they won't kill my bandwidth.

I put 24 of those on each page on my site.  Now thinking about it, I might do two batches for the site as long as it doesn't fill up my storage.  I'll have to check what my limits are.

That would be a much better idea for posting and for the 480x360 thumbnails I have on my site.

As for the hard-code resizing in the img src, I did know it didn't do anything to the file size, I just was not being considerate of slower Internet connections.

I still miss the HTML but I can live without it.  BBCode is not too much different.

You might want to check on storage but typically it takes a LOT to run you over on the site's storage capacity, I'd be more afraid of exceeding band width serving up images in that size if you have a great deal of traffic. Most of what I've been running on here for images I've been serving off the G-Team server, but we're seeing enough traffic there that I'm probably going to have to look at loading them elsewhere... we're closing on 40,000+ page views this month guys! That's a lot of traffic for a lawn mowerin site!!! Thanks to all of you that take the time to stop in and visit us there!

As for dial up users bnjmik, you definitely want to rethink that approach on your site. Most folks seem to think that everyone in the world has gone DSL, but they haven't. I just saw stats the other day on that matter and dial-up is still considerably in the lead accounting for over 52% of all Internet users, DSL, Road Runner, and Satellite combined haven't surpassed dial-up yet, and they won't for a long time!! The infrastructure simply isn't there in the rural setting for DSL, Road Runner is likewise limited by dial-up's ability to stream data, and satellite is quite spendy with a number of associated drawbacks. And, there's a move to move back to the country by most middle class across America. From a marketing perspective, that would be sorta like Walmart making their stores inaccesible to anyone that couldn't run an obstacle course to get in the door. You gotta think dial-up if you want the site to be useable by all!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 07:39:48 pm »
I'm pretty much a Forum Junkie, here there and a couple other places, and being on Dial up, I just don't have time to wait for big downloads..

If it don't load in 5-10 seconds I move on...same with page filling pics that make you scroll across to read the text...

Once in awhile (maybe) on a slow day I'll go back and wait for a pic, but I very rarely look at videos..

I have dial up and looks like a long time coming before I see cable or dsl...

Heck the dang Natural Gas line stops a mile and a half before getting to my house... :roll:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 12:02:56 pm »
You got that right Squidd, not into scrolling!!

Only a mile and a half from natural gas?  Dang, you're almost on top of it!!  I'll be  on LP for years and years and years yet.   LOL   Even at that, civilization is getting to close, no elbow room, no peace and quiet.   About time to move......

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 01:41:56 pm »
Only a mile and a half from natural gas? Dang, you're almost on top of it!!

Yeah, so close and yet so far... :lol:

Goes down the highway a mile and a half from me, problem is there is no one between me and the highway and no one for 5 miles down the road past me... So with no population density they can't justify the cost of the line...

Same with cable TV and dsl lines..

Heck I can't even use my cell phone at home...

In fact...you know those little station "ads" and promotins that come up on your car radio dial...???

I'm lucky if I get the correct Time !!!   8)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 09:56:42 pm »
hey creech fan. Can you send me these vids? i dont think i can download the quick time stuff.... Atleast i dont think i can. i like to burn all these videos and keep them...
thanks, Man!
Pm me and ill give you my email adress if you can send them to me!
SEAN!
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 08:10:09 am »
IBuiltmine-o1oo

I can send them after lunch! ( if i left my disk in the truck) let me know where you would like to receive them.

anything