Author Topic: Sparta Michigan, July 21 2006 **Lots of picks**Video**  (Read 12525 times)

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Sparta Michigan, July 21 2006 **Lots of picks**Video**
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:20:23 am »
Here are some picks of the July 21 USLMRA National held in Sparta Michigan. This was the first mower race I’d ever been to and I absolutely loved it!! I was kind of disappointed with the number of people there….I thought there was going to be a lot more spectators.

Anyways, I had a great time, my brother, two of my buddies and my girl friend came along with me to the track. It was like a mini road trip for us; as it was a 2 and a half hour ride.  

I hadn’t even been at the track 10 minutes when I head someone talking about this forum! WOW…

I introduced my self to the guy talking about heymow, it turned out to be Sod buster.
I would like to thank him for explaining the different classes to me and making me feel welcome at the track. THANKS!!! Sod.

Another person I got to meat from this forum was Mr. Herrin. He’s a very busy man on race day and I regret not being able to talk to him longer. When I went up to him he was looking at stats on his laptop. Seemed like a nice guy, I didn’t want to bother him much (I’m the say way when I’m racing) though, so I walked around the pits some more.

!!There was everything imaginable done to a mower!!

If any of you have a lawn mower race in your state, I highly recommend you check it out.
You will see first hand how to “mount what where” and talk to people who have been doing this for years.  I chatted with a guy who’s been racing mower since the 80’s!!!

Check them out when ever you can and take a camera!!!

(NOTE: I asked the owners of the mowers in the pits if it was OK to take the pictures that I did. If any one would like me to take any of the picks down, I can and will, it is not a problem.)

Video links:
http://media.putfile.com/mowerVID6
http://media.putfile.com/mowerVID5
http://media.putfile.com/mowerVID4
http://media.putfile.com/mowerVID3
http://media.putfile.com/mowerVID2
http://media.putfile.com/mowerVID1

I hope every one enjoys these!! It took me a while to do it!!

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:32:54 am »
Hay bud thats some really nice shots you got , glad you had a good time at our race and hope to see ya there with a mower next time.

LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
www.WILMRA.com

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:19:14 pm »
Looks good..

Got any shots of the A/P race from Saturday...??

Was a close race with a "Photo" Finish...tying to find some decent shots for my album...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowmanscott

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grasscarmowersports.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:01:09 pm »
Thanks for sharing with us.  Scott

Offline bnjmik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:04 am »
Did you resize these pics using BBCode?  I can't get HTML to work here, so I have to use BB, but I can't figure out how to resize the images within the code.
Mike

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:00:41 am »
I'm guessing he used the thumbnails produced on the Putfile site to run thumbnails here Mike. The file sizes are substantially smaller than the full size images indicating not only reduction in dimensions, but also some compression of the image. And, the URLs on all his thumbnails ends in - &s - although they are identical otherwise to the larger images, telling me that the file is a "s"mall rendition of the image likely generated by the Putfile software.

Offline bnjmik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 02:06:15 am »
Hmmm, interesting...

I found some info somewhere out there that said you could resize within the code if you typed in the pixel size after the img tag like this--> [img=640x480] .  

It sounded a little strange to me, but I tried it and sure enough, it did NOT work.  fooey

I understand the importance of limiting HTML, but sometimes it can make things more difficult without it... at least for me.  

I guess we will all have to live with large page sizes or I will have to start batching my images at two sizes.

Oh well.
Mike

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 02:58:18 am »
Either that, or use Putfile like Creech did. I honestly don't know whether the software did that or if Creech resized them all, but the &s following the .jpg extension would appear to indicate to me that the software on Putfile did it.

The problem with resizing images in your code be it HTML or BB Mike, is that it doesn't reduce the file size at all. All it does is present a smaller rendition of the original image on the page. Which would prevent the page from blowing up here, but... The file being served is still the original image and it is identical in all respects except the dimensions seen on the page. If it weighs 80 kb and you thumbnail it by defining dimensions in your code, it still weighs 80 kb as a thumbnail.

Loading that many images to this page in that fashion would make it entirely inaccesible by dial-up users. In fact the page is very likely too much for some of the slower dial up connections we have here already. He's got 60 images up there, probably running on average 5 - 6kb from what I saw in testing a few, therefore 300 - 350kb + the weight of the page itself, all avatars, smilies, etc, etc. for total page weight. We're probably talking somewhere around 450 - 500 kb here on this page. With dial-up that equates to several minutes to full page load.  

As small as the images are up there, they probably aren't loading all at once however, and since the images aren't preloaded on these boards, they may not create a problem. They'll load through mutiple channels or feeds on the server, allowing pieces of the page a chance to load as each thumbnail finishes and another starts. Much of the page will be cached through CSS, and therefore the page will load albeit slow, and the images will slowly pop in as the viewer scrolls down the line.

If you loaded 60 images scaled down in your code without physically resizing them, that would be a totally different story! There you're talking probably an 80 - 100 kb average file size and total page weight of 5000 - 6000 kb on the above images. Images that size will load all feed streams to the nuts, they'll load slow to begin with, the pieces of the page will be hung up while the images load, and the page itself will take forever and then some to fully load, even if parts of it are cached. Poor Dale would be sitting there for HOURS on his connection!!

As a rule it's usually best to resize and compress a second copy of the image for use as a thumbnail, it works much smoother that way.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 04:02:53 am »
That's pretty interesting, I totally forgot about dial-up users.

I take high quality photos (for my 5.1 Mp camera) and size them down to 1024x768 and also save them at a lower dpi (80%) so they won't kill my bandwidth.

I put 24 of those on each page on my site.  Now thinking about it, I might do two batches for the site as long as it doesn't fill up my storage.  I'll have to check what my limits are.

That would be a much better idea for posting and for the 480x360 thumbnails I have on my site.

As for the hard-code resizing in the img src, I did know it didn't do anything to the file size, I just was not being considerate of slower Internet connections.

I still miss the HTML but I can live without it.  BBCode is not too much different.

Offline bnjmik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 04:10:16 am »
Oops, I didn't even realize I wasn't logged in anymore.  Sorry about that.

Also sorry about the off topic posts here...

creechfan:  

Very impressive photos.  Mower racing isn't as popular here as it appears to be where you are, although we did get a photo on the second page of the metro section in the Kansas City Star.  No story though.

I'm diggin' the Huffy/Wizzard-style shorties.  Freggin' Sweet!
Mike

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:38:41 am »
Heh heh heh.  Squeeky wheel gets the grease!!!!  I was mentioned by name!   LOL

For the most part, I've stopped coming to the pictures area as most do take to darn long, but the other day I was reading a lot of text elsewhere so clicked on and let things download.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find these pictures!!!!   With a little squinting I picked those I wanted to see, right clicked and opened the larger images in a new tab.  Works VERY WELL!!!!!!!

Thanks Creechfan!!   From the angle of most of the pictures, I'd say you were in the bleachers at the south end?  We sat at the start/finish line.

Squidd, heard your name, but never did find 777 in the pits.   There was usually such a jumble of people during introductions before a race, I never did figure out who you were.  But then, we were only there sunday.

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 08:44:27 am »
Thanks soooo much for the responses!!

I used put files software ( in my account) to resize the picks. I did not do any “customizing.”  One you up load the images it’s as simple as copy and past! Very cool….

Sorry Squidd, I fully regret not getting shots of that photo finish. Even if I had been pointing the camera in that direction I would have only gotten the back of the machines since I was sitting in the back of my truck, facing the start/finish line towards the end of the day…..

The picks were shot with a 6.1 mega pixel camera, so if any of you want an uncompressed “raw” picture emailed to you (for a poster or something) I will send one your way.

I am considering making a few posters my self to hang in our poll barn. They are going to be on photo glossy paper, might be laminated…framed, the whole 9 yards!!  32x?? I forget the exact sizes….

-CreechFan

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 08:52:39 am »
LOL Dale, I asked a guy if he was you in the pits because he had a wheel horse machine. It was not you, obviously……but I tried!! Finding another haymow.com Michigan member was impossible!!...lol…

I’m pleased how the picks turned out myself, I originally tried to post them full size (your enemy) but Putfile no longer allows that? I don’t know what happened at that end…

I’m soo glad every one is enjoying them..!! I wanted to make sure I got plenty of “setup” picks….I think I did a good job…

-CreechFan

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 10:26:24 am »
If I remember correctly, I had a chill run down my spin when I saw this….
How cool!!! I just had to point it out……………………

( I guess this goes to show how much of a gear head geek I am, computer geek too…) LOL   :D  :D  :D

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 10:35:59 am »

Yes, I did block out the license plate. I thought if the owners ever saw it one here, they would appreciate it.

Enjoy!

-CreechFan